Effect Audio launches the Axiom IEM
Nov 3, 2021 at 11:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68
We are proud to announce today the release of the Axiom and Axiom XP in-ear monitors (IEMs). Both IEMs feature a modular design called the MU (“Modular Unit”) system, with an interchangeable connector piece that allows users to connect either MMCX or CIEM (also known as “0.78mm 2-pin”) terminated cables to the IEMs. We believe that this is also the first passive IEM on the market to be packaged without a stock cable, as part of our new sustainability efforts for this decade.
EA1.png

After many weeks of questioning and posting about the mysterious entity called the “X”, the Axiom IEMs were finally revealed as the answer during a livestream that also showcased our new branding and roadmapped new services. Just like the livestream, the Axiom was fleshed out across three themes: “Sustainability”, “Versatility” and “Experience”.
EA1.png

Within each of the three themes, the IEMs pack in a number of features for users to uncover and experience. These range from using recyclable materials, having a non-fatiguing reference-class sound signature and ergonomic features that promote extended usage.
EA2.png

“The reasons we do not include a stock cable with the Axiom are simple,” said Suyang Zou, our Founder. “Firstly, we do not want to include a substandard cable that is destined for the landfill and therefore very wasteful. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, we want to encourage customers who already have cables from us or any other manufacturer to reuse what they have. However, even if you are in a position to be without access to such spare cables, we would also have a solution for you.”

To counter the intended omission of a stock cable, we are making available a perpetual, opt-in cable bundle programme with every Axiom purchase from our online store. Axiom customers can look forward to a minimum of a 10% discount for every cable purchased with the Axiom, stretching up to 25% for either one of our three preferred pairings. For the launch period until early 2022, the Maestro, EVO10 and Cleopatra will be the first three designs to be offered under this “Preferred Pairing” arrangement.
EA3.png

As an IEM, the Axiom features oversized 12mm magnesium dynamic drivers and twinned Knowles balanced armature drivers for a hybrid, 2-way design. In addition, it also features a Hetian jade faceplate and a matte shell made from aluminium and titanium alloys. The Axiom XP goes further to include a polished shell and 12mm pure beryllium dynamic drivers. For our audiophile friends concerned about the sound, the target sound signature is to match that of most reference class IEMs available on the market.
EA4.png

Pre-orders for the Axiom has began, while The Axiom XP is currently slated to be released in early 2022. Prices for the Axiom and Axiom XP are US$1499 and US$2388 respectively, with the latter subject to further confirmation. Customers who are shopping from their preferred local dealers can also look forward to region-specific deals and product bundles as well. The IEMs ship with a one year limited-liability warranty, which will be extended by six months with every successful registration online.

Axiom Price: USD $1,499
Axiom XP Price: USD $2,388 (Expected date for pre-order: January 2022, subject to confirmation.)
Pre-order your Axiom here https://bit.ly/3nS6X7k

Last edited:
Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Nov 3, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 68
Cable company sells $2400 IEM with no cable.

Because “sustainability”.
I get it, I have as many mmcx cables as usb-c. When I first saw this I thought maybe they developed an interchangeable BT module. That would be something interesting, but maybe offering the iem at a lower price with a choice of mmcx, 2-pin and with or without cable makes more sense. Impressive engineering tho.

Nov 3, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 68
First Br hybrid, that could be interesting. Lets hear it first before we judge it. Having a removable socket can help with the longevity of the product, but it also creates a possible degrading in sound, as there is no substitute to a direct point of contact.

Having no cables included actually smart, as they are targeting their own base, who will most likely have a lot of their cables.

Having said that, I have had no positive experience with King Arthur. I remember I went to try it in on and the moment I put it on, the connector just cracked open in my hand. The poor salesperson did not know what to say as, at that time, that was the most expensive IEM he had in the shop.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #7 of 68
Swappable 2-pin/mmcx ports seem more like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Also a graph would be nice, just as a reference of course.

Nov 3, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #8 of 68
I geWhen I first saw this I thought maybe they developed an interchangeable BT module. That would be something interesting, but maybe offering the iem at a lower price with a choice of mmcx, 2-pin and with or without cable makes more sense.
Had exactly the same idea!

Nov 3, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #10 of 68
Make the best sounding earphone and you'll be the industry standard. Nobody buys an earphone because of its connector.

Nov 3, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #11 of 68
2.4k for an IEM that doesn’t even have the “special” cable to justify it? Interesting…

Nov 3, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #14 of 68
I think there is a huge misunderstanding about sustainability. This is an iem which can’t work without cable. What if I don’t have any spare cable? So I have to buy separately. Where is the sustainability here? If you are worried about sustainability, then reduce packaging and non-required stuff.
You buy a 799 best pairing cable. Making it 3.2k IEM. :)

Agree how marketing have been using “Sustainability” on a masked “make extra profit” way.

Nov 4, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #15 of 68
I get the principle behind having a no-cable purchase option - that does make sense, if their audience has cables to spare. I would happily buy any IEM as a no-cable option. At least Effect are giving a discount if you do want one on top. Agree with other comments around excess packaging.

Personally, I feel it makes sense in every segment of the market, as I only use 1 or 2 non-standard cables for all my IEMs. I should really sell on the other cables I don't use much, now that I think of it.

If it doesn't sound good, becomes a fiddle to use or crucially, stand up to long term use without points of failure, then it doesn't matter what the marketing spin says.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back