Effect Audio launches the Axiom IEM
Nov 5, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #31 of 68
The majority of the comments here are cynical at best and negative at worst, which is probably a good litmus test as to how they will fair in the marketplace sadly.
Having worked in product development I also fail to see any true innovation of offering an IEM with interchangeable cable connectors. For me, this aspect is just a risk to it's end user function due to the fact it relies on a spuriously weak-looking fastening method and friction-fit connectors that could...will fail at some point, or be subject to loss, foreign body ingress or damage while not connected. While connected it looks like dust/detritus could creep in via gaps and also cause issues.

As someone said earlier, it seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist and in that sense it isn't real innovation. Who researched this and presented it as a viable/sellable design feature and thought people would buy into it at this price-point? I think your product development board needs to go back to school.

A budget/design focus would be better invested in innovating driver technology, materials and overall sound quality to really stay ahead in this crowded marketplace.

Just my 2 cents.
I really don't see any Innovation here.
However it adresses an interesting topic.

Especially high end and flagship Segments could offer their headphones without cables at a reduced price.
I own a lot of "Stock" cables of insufficient quality that have no purpose except for existing in case I sell the corresponding Headphone again.

I'd be in the Main audience for cheaper headphone options without cables.
Sure the cable is a mandatory Part and the headphone doesn't work without, but speakers are sold without cables since the beginning of time and it never was an issue there.

Nov 6, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #32 of 68
Another interesting point - looking at their web site ordering page, the “preferred” discount cables program & the non-discount cable ordering appears to be 3.5 mm connectors only. For an audiophile iem ? Likely to add more cynical comments about purging slow selling 3.5mm inventory…..
JD

Nov 7, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #33 of 68
Signs of the time we live in...thanks Apple and Samsung. I find this statement pretty funny...how about you include a better cable with this kind of pricing? I understand if this is a $50 IEM, people might be incline to throw away the stock cable but at $1.5k or $2.5k I honestly doubt anyone would just toss their cable in the trash...can't wait until I see this asset bubble burst, maybe that will stop companies from taking advantage of customers by charging more and giving less in the name of up-marketing. These companies know that there's too much free money chasing too few goods and can get away with crap like this...

“Firstly, we do not want to include a substandard cable that is destined for the landfill and therefore very wasteful.

Nov 7, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #34 of 68
Effect Audio should be really sticking with producing audio cables and audio cables only. Their IEMs have never been rated as good products. Remember Symphony and King Arthur IEMs? They flopped af. I'd be no surprised this time either.

Nov 30, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #37 of 68
256006913_4750568541669314_7310894322263610397_n.jpg

260062386_4773308459395322_3565780832332349930_n.jpg

Sharing some really nice pictures of Axiom @ CrystalSoundAudio on facebook. Its such a nice looking IEM and lots of possibilities from changing moduels. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dec 5, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #41 of 68
Here I am with two IEMs priced exactly at $1499 but there are plenty of differences. One is a quad hybrid and the other is a simple hybrid. One has a cable and the other.. doesn't come with one. As of now the set of accessories is minimal on the cable-less IEM.
No prizes for guessing that Effect Audio Axiom is not the best IEM when it comes to set of accessories.
Can the Axiom redeem itself? Can an IEM overcome all these things? The short and clear answer is.. Yes. Its an early impression so dont take this as my final verdict. I do expect some changes after 100+ hrs.

My first impression was of the prototype unit and the improvements with the production ready DEMO unit is admirable. Lower end is less voluminous with slightly better weight. Vocals notes are tighter and instruments have more even emphasis across the spectrum. Treble of the Prototype was slightly loose and less precise which is rectified with the production ready unit.

IMG_20211203_121644.jpg

IMG_20211204_214013.jpg

Axiom is not a fancy IEM with a lot of drivers and fancy shell design. It's more of a serious IEM with a no nonsense approach when it comes to sound. It has one of the best balance of fun and analytical sound in the $1500 price range. It just simply isn't an IEM with a lot of lower end grunt but has a healthy amount of lower end thump and fuller feeling to keep anyone seated. It has a more layered bass delivery and aptly accurate decay speed is something hard to find in this price range, but is more common with BA based flagship IEMs. It does have depth but doesn't have the volume or a lot or rumble. What it has is the right balance.
Mid range is less in the V compared to the Unique Melody MEST mk2 and the vocals are more forward. The biggest difference comes with the finishing energy and accuracy. Mest mk2 has better notes depth and energy with upper mid percussion instruments providing a more natural timber and tonality. Axiom cuts the extra bit of sharpness there but has better transparency of the instruments everywhere else. This does rob it off of some precision and accuracy, the extra shimmer goes missing. Treble extension is exceptionally good but isn't of the endless type. If you didnt like the extra bit of attack of the MEST mk2's treble, the Axiom has slightly less attacking notes with a much more even emphasis.
The biggest surprise here is the stage size. It's nearly 30% bigger than MEST mk2 in every direction. It just simply has better air and space between instruments.
If the upper mids can be more accurate.. this IEM will be unstoppable, but I am burning it, 10h done, 90 more to go. Let's see.

IMG_20211204_214501.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #44 of 68
How does one swap the connector modules out? The QR code to the online manual links to a page that doesn't exist. I've removed the screw connecting the module to the IEM, but I still can't remove the module. I'm putting in enough force (pushing downwards from the top and pulling back) trying to pry it away that it's worrying me. And I don't want to use a tool to dig at the crevice either.

Dec 8, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #45 of 68
How does one swap the connector modules out? The QR code to the online manual links to a page that doesn't exist. I've removed the screw connecting the module to the IEM, but I still can't remove the module. I'm putting in enough force (pushing downwards from the top and pulling back) trying to pry it away that it's worrying me. And I don't want to use a tool to dig at the crevice either.
Maybe can refer to this video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back