Effect Audio launches the Axiom IEM
Dec 9, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #46 of 68
How does one swap the connector modules out? The QR code to the online manual links to a page that doesn't exist. I've removed the screw connecting the module to the IEM, but I still can't remove the module. I'm putting in enough force (pushing downwards from the top and pulling back) trying to pry it away that it's worrying me. And I don't want to use a tool to dig at the crevice either.
Push it young man, push it up from the outer side. The opposite side of the connector.

Dec 9, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #47 of 68
Here I am with two IEMs priced exactly at $1499 but there are plenty of differences. One is a quad hybrid and the other is a simple hybrid. One has a cable and the other.. doesn't come with one. As of now the set of accessories is minimal on the cable-less IEM.
No prizes for guessing that Effect Audio Axiom is not the best IEM when it comes to set of accessories.
Can the Axiom redeem itself? Can an IEM overcome all these things? The short and clear answer is.. Yes. Its an early impression so dont take this as my final verdict. I do expect some changes after 100+ hrs.

My first impression was of the prototype unit and the improvements with the production ready DEMO unit is admirable. Lower end is less voluminous with slightly better weight. Vocals notes are tighter and instruments have more even emphasis across the spectrum. Treble of the Prototype was slightly loose and less precise which is rectified with the production ready unit.

Axiom is not a fancy IEM with a lot of drivers and fancy shell design. It's more of a serious IEM with a no nonsense approach when it comes to sound. It has one of the best balance of fun and analytical sound in the $1500 price range. It just simply isn't an IEM with a lot of lower end grunt but has a healthy amount of lower end thump and fuller feeling to keep anyone seated. It has a more layered bass delivery and aptly accurate decay speed is something hard to find in this price range, but is more common with BA based flagship IEMs. It does have depth but doesn't have the volume or a lot or rumble. What it has is the right balance.
Mid range is less in the V compared to the Unique Melody MEST mk2 and the vocals are more forward. The biggest difference comes with the finishing energy and accuracy. Mest mk2 has better notes depth and energy with upper mid percussion instruments providing a more natural timber and tonality. Axiom cuts the extra bit of sharpness there but has better transparency of the instruments everywhere else. This does rob it off of some precision and accuracy, the extra shimmer goes missing. Treble extension is exceptionally good but isn't of the endless type. If you didnt like the extra bit of attack of the MEST mk2's treble, the Axiom has slightly less attacking notes with a much more even emphasis.
The biggest surprise here is the stage size. It's nearly 30% bigger than MEST mk2 in every direction. It just simply has better air and space between instruments.
If the upper mids can be more accurate.. this IEM will be unstoppable, but I am burning it, 10h done, 90 more to go. Let's see.

Well im liking what you said about the soundstage. But i think the tuning would be a big no no. There is a lot i like about Mest MKII tuning and part of it is its upper mids.
If its scooped along with bass, it would give treble some focus on air and sense of space via tuning.
For instance Indigo has sorted the treble of MKII but it also cut back on upper mids clarity. Which made it quite different sound iem.

How is the fit they seem quite blocky?

Is there a graph available for both models?

Dec 9, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #48 of 68
Since you asked: https://vsg.squig.link/?share=VSG_Target,Effect_Audio_Axiom

Will re-measure both channels this week with a few other tips and cables just to make sure.

[Update] Both channels measured, and tips don't make much of an effect:

graph.png

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #50 of 68
Hi, everyone, received the Axiom and I really like it, and I want to thank Effect Audio for sending it to me to review

My first impressions are that the Axiom is neutral with a reference signature, it has detailed present mids for both male and female vocals, good highs and controlled bass. Wide sound stage and has great separation.

I will share my review with everyone soon, I used Sony IER Z1R silicon tips in my review which you see in the pictures

Thanks again Effect Audio you always deliver and impress

20211212_201634.jpg
20211212_201643.jpg
20211212_201655.jpg
20211212_201719.jpg
20211212_201817.jpg

Dec 16, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #52 of 68
Effect Audio Axiom: First Impressions

20211215_103728.jpg

Hits:

• Premium Build
  • Extension on both ends
  • Treble Resolution
  • Balanced Tuning

Misses:

• Fit and Shell Ergonomics
  • Lack of Acessories
  • Upper Midrange

Disclaimer:

The Effect Audio Axiom, and a bundled Effect Audio Maestro were sent to me as part of Effect Audio’s “World Tour”. These are here for 14 days, and I will have to pass them on to the next person in the tour afterwards, I receive no incentive for making these impressions and the following review, rest assured that I will do my best to stay as “The Dependable Audiophile”.

Introduction:

The Axiom are Effect Audio’s first IEM and a standard bearer for their new push on “Sustainability, Versatility and Experience”. In light of this, the Axioms do not come with a stock cable included in the box, perhaps a head-scratching decision at first, especially from a cable company. However, I do accept their reasoning as quite valid myself. If you’re spending 1500 USD on an IEM, more likely than not, you likely have a few IEM cables lying around or perhaps even an Effect Audio or some other premium cable, meaning that a stock cable would indeed just collect dust. The Axiom also has a modular design that allows for both 2-pin and MMCX cables to be used, further affording owners with versatility down the line.

20211215_102224.jpg

Unboxing:

The Axiom’s came in a generic recycled cardboard outer box for protection, and the main internal box is a rather small square of carboard. The packaging seems to mostly be made of recycled cardboard, which is definitely in line with their message of “Sustainability”, although this does make me question why the outer sleeve had to be torn open instead of being reusable. The included documentation is minimal, and the owner’s manual and details on the background of the Axiom are given as scannable QR codes instead of as physical copies, which I think is a nice touch.

No foam seems to have been used in the entirety of the package, which I feel is quite a good environmental choice but the stacked carboard layers that the IEMs and tips are nestled in doesn’t feel the best. Still, a worthy trade off in my opinion. Also, underneath everything is a nice bag of what seems to be tea leaves, which do indeed smell quite nice, which was a pleasant departure from the usual smell of industrial plastic I’ve come to expect from Chi-Fi packaging.

I can’t help but feel conflicted on the packaging. If I’m spending 1500 USD on an IEM I would prefer to have a nice box indeed, but I do understand this path. If I may propose an alternative though, a high-quality plastic box that doubles as a transport/carrying case might be another option, adhering to reuse instead of recycle on the 3 R’s scale.

20211215_104130.jpg

Build and Design:

The Axioms have an un-molded UIEM style shell that’s quite unique. The majority of the shell Is crafted out of metal, with a swappable module for the female MMCX or 2-pin connectors. For aesthetics, the faceplate features a decorative hetian jade piece inlaid on a polished metal rim. The swappable faceplate systems are removed by unscrewing using the included screwdriver and pulling on a specific seam, in practice though, thanks to the tolerances on this IEM there is basically no seam. People without fingernails might find this task rather difficult. Overall, design is quite alright, build is great and the aesthetics are an acquired taste.

20211215_104203.jpg

Fit:

(As always, your mileage will vary, no-one has the exact same ears)

The Axioms come packaged with 3 wide-bore silicone eartips from ePro in the usual S/M/L sizes. I found these tips to mount quite deeply on the rather large-bored nozzle on the Axiom which when combined with the un-molded (no concha fin) design of the shells led to a rather shallow and somewhat insecure fit in my ears. This is perhaps exacerbated the weight of the metal shells. I would have preferred a second set of longer nozzled tips in this case, but again YMMV.

Quick Sound Impressions: (Only an hour or so worth of listening, take with salt)

-Balanced Neutral Signature

Bass
on the Axioms is thick, punchy and decently extended. It’s tonally somewhat forward in the mix but quantity is tastefully done. Slam quality is quite good, low frequency rumble is there if somewhat tapered off and I wish for a little more textural separation overall as it could get somewhat congested in metal tracks.

Midrange on the Axiom is somewhat recessed in the upper register, there is a slight tilt towards the lower midrange over the upper midrange. Female vocals are detailed and resolved decently but they do seem to have somewhat of a veil. Male vocals do better with a thicker, warmer tone to them and plenty of body. Instruments are just ok, note weight is good. Overall, better for male vocals than female, upper midrange requires some transparency.

Treble on the Axiom is well done, quite neutral and well extended. Highs are clear and present but there does seem to be some extra high treble energy although the Knowles BA drivers that I assume are handling the high end do a good job of keeping the treble focused enough to avoid sibilance and at the same time resolving detail and providing extension.

Technical Performance:

Soundstage on the Axiom is rather wide and has good depth if the usual scoop on front and back stage, Extension has been noted to be quite good. Driver Control is reined in but a slight hint of BA metal is still present. Imaging is quite decent, and fairly precise. Instrument separation and layering is decent. Detail retrieval is good.

Off the Top Conclusions:

Still torn on the inclusion of only 1 set of tips and still quite annoyed at the fit. Will attempt to tip-roll later on. I enjoy the sound signature but I am missing my female vocals a bit as well. Overall, I’m not sure what direction to take my full review towards. We’ll see.

Dec 17, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #54 of 68
hi everyone he is my review for Effect Audio Axiom, which I enjoyed and I am so eager to review their XP soon

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/effect-audio-axiom.25610/

General Information​

Effect Audio Axiom

The design of the Axiom caught my attention, as no other company is offering such a design were you can easily switch between your 2 pins or mmcx cables. You open the box and you are greeted with this great looking iem, which feels and looks premium.

Pros: Neutral with reference signature, detailed with good highs and bass. Wide sound stage, and has good separation.

Cons: It’s not a con for me but it is not for bassheads. Fit, for me personally due to my ear canal shape, I had to go through tons of tips till I found the proper tips that suit me which were the Sony IER Z1R silicon tips, I am stressing how important it is to find the correct tips. Also it needs a lot of burn in ( 72 hours )

Background:

I had my share of totl iems which you can see in my profile. The tonality that I like is a full rich detailed tonality in the mids especially for vocals, were I accept no sacrifices what so ever, so if the vocals are not done right then that product is not for me, no matter how good the bass or highs are. Of course I like a good dose of bass as well, and to have details in the highs, but my sole “make it or break it” approval lies in the midrange for me personally, simply cause if the mids are not done right you will not be able to easily fix it through EQ, yes you can address the mids with EQ but usually the results are not stellar

Gears used in this review:
  • Chord mojo –poly
  • Cayin N3Pro in tube mode – ultra linear
  • Ifi pro idsd
  • Ibasso dx160
Tips used:

-Sony IER Z1R silicon tips, size Medium Large

Cable Used:

Effect Audio Maestro

Songs I used:

• Dave Gahan--- Metal Heart
  • Daft Punk—The game of love
  • Leonard Cohen--- You want it darker
  • Jonsi--- Obsidian
  • Massive Attack--Angel
  • Tool--- Invincible
  • The war on drugs--- Stranger Things
  • Strand of Oaks – Horses at night
  • Dire Straits – Don’t worry
  • Dead Can dance-- Amnesia
  • Felix Marc--- Substance
  • Adele—Hello
  • 21 Savage--- A lot
  • Sarah Brightman-- Hymn
Listening time:

I like to keep things simple and to the point and not drag into writing complex passages. I listed the songs above, which I used for testing, so my impressions will be in reference to those songs. Please pay attention to the tips I used as they made a huge difference compared to all other tips I used, since it’s a short stem and that is usually a problem for me personally, when I tried other tips from for example Final Audio, stock tips and many others, the difference in sound was big for me, this is why again my experience is with using Sony IER Z1R silicon tips. Also note I never rated any totl iem that I tested or owned to be perfect and that applies to even the most expensive iems I own or owned, or the ones I heard that can reach over 4k usd in price.

Bass and Sub Bass: here I used the song by Massive Attack – Angel to test the sub bass and bass, and it was a good impactful experience, the Axiom reached deep into the sub bass, with a good bass punch. It’s not a basshead bass but definitely it will please audiophile members who like the right dose of bass and sub bass. Make sure to find the correct tips, for me the Sony tips were the perfect ones.

Mids: Mids and especially vocals are as mentioned before the most important factor for me in judging an iem. The mids are a bit recessed, were it would be noticed on female vocals more than male vocals. It is neither too rich nor too lean. Leonard Cohen’s voice was a good indicator that it has a good tonality and presence for male vocals. I then played some other songs mentioned above and the experience I had just confirmed my findings, among the songs was the latest song by Dave Gahan - Metal Heart -which again was a good indicator that the male vocals are done in a good way. Then I played Adele’s “Hello” song, as with some iems when she goes into the chorus the experience can be not stellar, but the with Axiom somehow I enjoyed that song, although with female vocals the Axiom could come across as a bit recessed but it worked well with that song

Bass and Mids Important note: I want to keep stressing how important choosing the right the tips are with the Axiom, I had to do a lot of tip rolling. It is really worth it and actually a must to not judge too fast with tips that you usually use, for example the tips I use most are the Final Audio tips, but they did not work for me at all with the Axiom and so did not many others. Till I used my spare Sony IER Z1R which gave me a total different experience from any tip I used. So my advice is do a lot of tip rolling, again others might not get such an experience or have difficulty with tip rolling as we each have different ear canals

Highs: Well the highs, I am so glad that the detail in the highs is to my preferences, it got the extension to make everything sound coherent. Thanks god it’s not a dark iem or a brittle one. You will hear the finest details, without being sibilant. It’s presented in a good way.

Sound Stage and separation: Its soundstage is wide, with good sense of width and has proper depth. It reminds a bit of the soundstage of the Sony IER Z1R. As for separation I wanted to choose a busy track and see how well it handles separation when things are supper busy in a song, so I listened to Hymn by Sarah Brightman, that song is a tough one to enjoy on many iems, as things can sound as an orchestra of mess, but with Axiom the separation was good that it allowed me to enjoy such a track

Speed: Well I love to listen to Tool, their song Invincible has a nice fast kick drum and the Axiom captured that perfectly.

Conclusion:

I want to thank Effect Audio for lending me the Axiom, I hope that Effect Audio does a tour for Axiom XP when it gets released, as it is really intriguing me to give that a review as well. The Axiom is good choice for people who like neutral reference signatures

20211212_201634.jpg
20211212_201643.jpg
20211212_201753.jpg
20211212_201655.jpg
20211212_201719.jpg
20211212_201817.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #55 of 68
IMG_20211229_224030.jpg

The new module really look nice and sounded wonderful. Cool stuff with a change in sound signature from the module.

Jan 20, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #58 of 68
Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Feb 10, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #59 of 68
I posted my review about the Axiom today:

https://www.headfonia.com/effect-audio-axiom-review/

1644471089270.png

It's a very engaging IEM with the black module, but I find it a bit overpowering in bass and aggressive in the treble. The silver unit to me sounds much better and when you find the right set of tips, it's a very enjoyable experience. As far as hybrid IEMs go, the Axiom sounds up to this level and I think it sounds very good with the Maestro cable.

I wonder how many more modules EA will release in the foreseeable future. And I'm also waiting for the Axiom XP, which is significantly pricier but let's see how it performs when EA release it.

I liked the concept overall. It makes sense but maybe EA can offer more discounts and attractive deals for this one. Anyways, enjoy the read and have a good one!

Mar 9, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #60 of 68
I just got my demo unit in tonight to check out. So far I'm stuck between the super sharp and semi violent stock black module and the more relaxed and neutral silver module. I'm coming from my warmer sounding UM MEXT so the black module might have more bite than I might hear if I had maybe listened to something brighter before hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back