Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 25, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #38,731 of 40,613
I appreciate your communication and honesty, Tom and you know it even though we only communicated once :wink:
Anyways I will get my Raven soon according to my dealer and then let's see if it breaks. Obviously no one is going to force pull the cable out to see if it breaks and whoever has been in this forum will be extra cautious while doing that.
Good luck maybe you can succeed in removing the cable where some of us have fallen 😔🤕

Sep 25, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #38,732 of 40,613
Meanwhile I was cable rolling at CanJam London without even knowing this was a potential issue, even thicc cables such as the upcoming Nightjar Sovereign Symphony 4W ended up being fine with a simple tug and no wiggle.
20230820_131435~2.jpg

Sep 25, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #38,734 of 40,613
Are you a wiggler or a pincher?

Meanwhile I was cable rolling at CanJam London without even knowing this was a potential issue, even thicc cables such as the upcoming Nightjar Sovereign Symphony 4W ended up being fine with a simple tug and no wiggle.

What about a tug, some wiggling and then a pinch? :astonished:

Sep 25, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #38,736 of 40,613
Just a thought when first time cable rolling use an older cable with worn pins that are a little thinner from wear. :thermometer_face::thinking:
However this would apply only once you are able to safely remove the stock cable without any incident in the first place...

Sep 25, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #38,737 of 40,613
Good luck maybe you can succeed in removing the cable where some of us have fallen 😔🤕

For giggles, I tried to remove it from the other side before returning the broken set. This time I wiggled it slowly out like Jack's video and it came out. When plugging it back in with the same method, you can hear stress sounds from the plastic, which caused me to pause, reset, and try again.

In all my IEM's in my lifetime, i've never had to be this gentle on any of them. It is almost like holding an egg shell as you are trying to remove or insert a cable.

Sep 25, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #38,738 of 40,613
For giggles, I tried to remove it from the other side before returning the broken set. This time I wiggled it slowly out like Jack's video and it came out. When plugging it back in with the same method, you can hear stress sounds from the plastic, which caused me to pause, reset, and try again.

In all my IEM's in my lifetime, i've never had to be this gentle on any of them. It is almost like holding an egg shell as you are trying to remove or insert a cable.

Although I’m in crypto trading now, I used to be a mechanical engineer -) so here are some insights as to why slight wiggling might be a better idea in this particular tight fit case:

- Pulling the pin straight out will focus all the force along the axis of the pin. Because of the tight fit, this concentrates all force on the socket walls and the surrounding IEM shell.

- You need to apply more force when pulling out vs wiggling to get the pin moving (because friction), so even more force on the shell when pulling

- Wiggling the pin means that the force isn't just along the pin's axis but is also lateral. This distributes the amount and direction of stress around the surrounding shell, potentially reducing the chance of concentrated damage in one area, ie what we see in the pics

Sep 25, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #38,739 of 40,613
I know the shells themselves aren’t weak from a music industry standpoint. The material’s widely used and known to be durable.

I’m sure there’s a simple fix if this does in fact become a concern. Good news is that EE takes extremely good care of their customers. Not the end of the world, just a hiccup in a new process.

Sep 25, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #38,740 of 40,613
I'm deeply aware of the current concerns surrounding the RAVEN's integrity, and I'm stepping in to directly address and remedy this situation. If you're experiencing any issues, it's paramount that you contact your dealer, ensuring that both myself (Jack@EmpireEars.com) and Leasah from customer support (Support@Empireears.com) are looped in. This way, we can expedite a resolution for you.

I'd like to shed light on some technical aspects for those who received the initial batch last week. Specifically, I want to guide you on the correct way to handle cable swapping for our IEMs. The 2-pin sockets we use are injection molded, designed to endure a pull pressure between 8-10lbs, accounting for some manufacturing variances. This design is intended for professional artists who require a snug cable fit. Fresh out of the box, the sockets measure approximately .75-.77. However, with the insertion of the standard .78 pins, they adapt to the designated specification. This can make the cable removal somewhat demanding, especially for brand new IEMs.

Given this close fit, paired with a 3D printed resin shell, exerting excessive force can potentially compromise the shell's integrity. We've curated a concise video to showcase the proper technique for cable removal, specifically tailored for the RAVEN. While this approach is RAVEN-centric, it's universally applicable across all our IEM models. The crux lies in avoiding angular force; ensure your hands are steady and gently wiggle the cable to detach it.

It's equally crucial to highlight the polymer acoustic layer located beneath the metal faceplate, adjacent to the 2-pin socket. This core, kept in place by adhesive and the resin shell, is delicate. When attaching cables, exercise caution and apply just the right amount of pressure to prevent any internal displacement.

Addressing another aspect that has come to the forefront: the shell thickness of our products, whether UIEM or CIEM, has maintained consistent wall tolerances over the past 9 years. This design decision, rooted deeply in our commitment to unparalleled acoustics, has been a constant since our inception. Our choice of material is the medical-grade DREVE resin, which we import from Germany. Its quality and durability, when treated with care, have been proven time and again, with countless musicians on global tours vouching for its reliability. However, it's essential to understand that while resilient, they are not invincible. They aren't designed to withstand extreme forces or accidental drops; undue stress can lead to breakages. We've delved into experimenting with thicker tolerances during various R&D phases over the years. But our unwavering commitment to sound fidelity has always guided us to a balanced midpoint, a design that marries sound precision with structure, albeit necessitating more meticulous handling.

I hope this clarifies our stance and the decisions behind our product design. We always prioritize offering you an unmatched audio experience without compromising on product integrity.

I genuinely regret the delay in communicating this tutorial and information to you all. To further alleviate concerns, we're adapting our manufacturing approach. Starting this week, we'll manually widen each socket in subsequent batches, making cable removal more straightforward. However, I'd still urge adherence to the demonstrated technique for optimal results.

Your feedback and satisfaction are paramount to us. For any further queries or concerns, please reach out directly. We're here for you, committed to ensuring a seamless experience with our products.

Sep 25, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #38,741 of 40,613
EE have always had tight sockets for cables. My Zeus sockets were tight, and that has to be at least six years ago. They do loosen up with use. But I can recall trying to get the cable loose on the Zeus the first time and it was a fight.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #38,742 of 40,613
I'm deeply aware of the current concerns surrounding the RAVEN's integrity, and I'm stepping in to directly address and remedy this situation. If you're experiencing any issues, it's paramount that you contact your dealer, ensuring that both myself (Jack@EmpireEars.com) and Leasah from customer support (Support@Empireears.com) are looped in. This way, we can expedite a resolution for you.

I'd like to shed light on some technical aspects for those who received the initial batch last week. Specifically, I want to guide you on the correct way to handle cable swapping for our IEMs. The 2-pin sockets we use are injection molded, designed to endure a pull pressure between 8-10lbs, accounting for some manufacturing variances. This design is intended for professional artists who require a snug cable fit. Fresh out of the box, the sockets measure approximately .75-.77. However, with the insertion of the standard .78 pins, they adapt to the designated specification. This can make the cable removal somewhat demanding, especially for brand new IEMs.

Given this close fit, paired with a 3D printed resin shell, exerting excessive force can potentially compromise the shell's integrity. We've curated a concise video to showcase the proper technique for cable removal, specifically tailored for the RAVEN. While this approach is RAVEN-centric, it's universally applicable across all our IEM models. The crux lies in avoiding angular force; ensure your hands are steady and gently wiggle the cable to detach it.

It's equally crucial to highlight the polymer acoustic layer located beneath the metal faceplate, adjacent to the 2-pin socket. This core, kept in place by adhesive and the resin shell, is delicate. When attaching cables, exercise caution and apply just the right amount of pressure to prevent any internal displacement.

Addressing another aspect that has come to the forefront: the shell thickness of our products, whether UIEM or CIEM, has maintained consistent wall tolerances over the past 9 years. This design decision, rooted deeply in our commitment to unparalleled acoustics, has been a constant since our inception. Our choice of material is the medical-grade DREVE resin, which we import from Germany. Its quality and durability, when treated with care, have been proven time and again, with countless musicians on global tours vouching for its reliability. However, it's essential to understand that while resilient, they are not invincible. They aren't designed to withstand extreme forces or accidental drops; undue stress can lead to breakages. We've delved into experimenting with thicker tolerances during various R&D phases over the years. But our unwavering commitment to sound fidelity has always guided us to a balanced midpoint, a design that marries sound precision with structure, albeit necessitating more meticulous handling.

I hope this clarifies our stance and the decisions behind our product design. We always prioritize offering you an unmatched audio experience without compromising on product integrity.

I genuinely regret the delay in communicating this tutorial and information to you all. To further alleviate concerns, we're adapting our manufacturing approach. Starting this week, we'll manually widen each socket in subsequent batches, making cable removal more straightforward. However, I'd still urge adherence to the demonstrated technique for optimal results.

Your feedback and satisfaction are paramount to us. For any further queries or concerns, please reach out directly. We're here for you, committed to ensuring a seamless experience with our products.

Great info. Thanks for the education and honesty.

Sep 25, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #38,743 of 40,613

Out of curiosity, is there a reason why Raven is more fragile than other IEMs you produce? I have a pair of your Evos, and they’re seemingly built like tanks, while Raven seems to require kid gloves.

Are you using different printers? A new curing process? Different print settings? I know when 3d printing with resin, a lot of minute details can effect the material properties of the final product.

Sep 25, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #38,744 of 40,613

Thank you for taking the time to respond.
And I appreciate the service and returning policy. It will help my ease of mind.

I still do think its a little odd that I need a “special wiggle” technique to cable roll….
This is the first IEM I will have to feel “scared” about each time I change the cable.

Also a question: how do we know from which batch our unit is, to know if its been “pre-wiggled”? (lol)

Still looking forward to hearing Raven

Sep 25, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #38,745 of 40,613
Also a question: how do we know from which batch our unit is, to know if its been “pre-wiggled”? (lol)

This would be my question also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back