Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Sep 23, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #11,536 of 15,899
I don't have a fix for you, unfortunately. In fact I have had some frustration with looking for something in particular. The thing is that I don't often do this. Once I get what I want I typically play the album. Then I go back to my typical use case which is shuffle across all songs. I am sure that is not what many do, but in that scenario the sort doesn't matter. You could say that I use the X5III passively most of the time.

Can I ask, is it at least consistent in sorting incorrectly? In other words, once you know how it works can you simply take that into consideration when looking for something? Can you do something with tagging to make it better.?

I agree though that a sort algorithm that make sense really shouldn't be that tough to do.

Have you tried mp3DirSorterE.exe?

Drag SD root directory to the sorter, after checking “Sort Folders…” and “Sort Files…”

Fast and free and no side effects.

Sep 23, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #11,537 of 15,899
I think what gets me the most about the x5's shortcomings is at the price I paid for it, I expected more... Much more. A 3 year old SoC, a 2 year old bt/wifi chip and a screen that looks like some of the first smartphones? Ok fine, I took the hit willingly, because I expected a better experience using the device... And I can't say that has happened yet. So software is lacking, hardware is lacking... How can you charge premium pricing?

I'm glad to see some people are happy with it. But I can't say my first touchscreen dap experience is a success.
I don't think the price on the X5III is cheap, but it certainly is not premium either. Looking at DAPs with similar capabilities, one would have to agree that it is on the lower side of the spectrum.
As far as the non-audio hardware, to hit a price point, they gave us what is adequate for running a music player. The audio side of things is actually quite current and fits the price point and then some.

Cell phone manufacturers are in a highly competitive market where expectations are very high. They have no choice but to be innovative and to build devices with the cutting edge hardware. Those high end devices also cost much more than the Fiio, and simply do not sound as good. Something else to keep in mind, those companies producing the real cutting edge devices are huge with vast resources at their disposal and the buying power to acquire components cheaply. Samsung took a hit of over a billion dollars on their battery issue and never missed a beat.

Sorry that you did not get what you wanted, but there are certain realities that you must face when comparing something like the X5III to modern high end smart phones. In my case, anyway, I have adjusted my expectations accordingly.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #11,538 of 15,899
I hope you reconsider the revocation of your moderator status. I can see where it can cause conflicts, but in my dealings with you ... you have been very even handed. Though we don't always agree, I respect that and understand where you are coming from.
I think this happens, the shill etc, thing, many times around here. The differences of opinion from two perspectives cannot be resolved, so we resort to insults with no basis in fact.
Such a shame, and we like to consider ourselves rational creatures...??:triportsad:

Sep 23, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #11,539 of 15,899
Have you tried mp3DirSorterE.exe?

Drag SD root directory to the sorter, after checking “Sort Folders…” and “Sort Files…”

Fast and free and no side effects.
Not sure how that works. You can sort folders/files on each card but I don't think the FIIO app handles the interplay of 3 different drives. Other apps seem to sort the music correctly.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #11,540 of 15,899
@Brooko I hope you don't let the mindset of a few poison you. I for one complain a lot, I realize... but have backed off since installing the previous build 1.1.6 and using a USB Hub, I've been playing with the X5iii as a USB DAC and it has been working fairly well. No, the X5iii isn't everything for everyone. I was hoping for a little more, but that is my fault for not allowing the device to be used for a bit of time before jumping in, or having higher expectations than maybe I should have? I don't know. I will continue to hold onto this device and see if Fiio can fix the last few niggles I have. Until then, it works well enough to enjoy it. ...and well enough that I sold off my Mojo and kept the X5iii.

Sep 23, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #11,541 of 15,899
Thank you, this is what I have been trying to say all along only I did not know the technicalities.

So what I was saying now appears true in that the X5III is not compatible with the latest USB Standards.

What I would like to know is why, when the older X5II is?

This must be a mutual compatibility issue. Something going on between the devices. I say this because I got the X5III to connect with my Surface PRO 4, my desktop with a new Asus X79 motherboard, my Lenovo t 420 and t460 all using USB 3 USB ports.
So perhaps it is a Defective X5III that you are dealing with (at least one person reports that replacing the X5III fixed his issue), or maybe a mutual incompatibility issue with the computer that you are using. It does not mean that the X5III is not compatible with the latest USB standards. Rather it means that it is not compatible with those standards as implemented by the specific hardware that you are trying to use it with. We should not generalize to universal statements based upon extremely limited sample sets.

BTW, you cannot compare the USB functionality of X5II to the 3. It is a completely different hardware set and operating system. The fact that the 2 works for you and the 3 does not are just completely different situations. The only similarity between the devices is that Fiio produces them and that they have DAP functionality.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #11,542 of 15,899
I don't think the price on the X5III is cheap, but it certainly is not premium either. Looking at DAPs with similar capabilities, one would have to agree that it is on the lower side of the spectrum.
As far as the non-audio hardware, to hit a price point, they gave us what is adequate for running a music player. The audio side of things is actually quite current and fits the price point and then some.

Cell phone manufacturers are in a highly competitive market where expectations are very high. They have no choice but to be innovative and to build devices with the cutting edge hardware. Those high end devices also cost much more than the Fiio, and simply do not sound as good. Something else to keep in mind, those companies producing the real cutting edge devices are huge with vast resources at their disposal and the buying power to acquire components cheaply. Samsung took a hit of over a billion dollars on their battery issue and never missed a beat.

Sorry that you did not get what you wanted, but there are certain realities that you must face when comparing something like the X5III to modern high end smart phones. In my case, anyway, I have adjusted my expectations accordingly.

To reiterate, I did not compare this to a cell phone, nor have I ever compared it to one. However, mobile tech is used on this, so I compare it to available hardware on low and medium spectrum. The audio hardware is leagues from anything most phones do, so I am not even touching that in my comments.

If you guys are content with what you got, fine... But I really doubt the dual DAC and hardware on this device truly is worth the price tag from my experience in building mobile hardware. Call it a different perspective, I guess.

Sep 23, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #11,543 of 15,899
Not sure how that works. You can sort folders/files on each card but I don't think the FIIO app handles the interplay of 3 different drives. Other apps seem to sort the music correctly.

Sort the root of each drive separately.
Whenever I can I revert to my old “dos” tricks – however it appears the X5 probably may be re-sorting according to it’s own sorting algorithms.
This little programs works for me in conventional folder mode using playlists (don’t know if it’s any good if you’re playing using album mode).

Sep 23, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #11,544 of 15,899
@Karendar
That it is (difference of perspectives) and I totally respect your perspective. I prefer to allow my mental energy to tend towards the negative as little as possible. I consider this hobby to be something that doesn't impact my life significantly enough to allow it to make me unhappy (usually, no one is perfect).

Can you recommend something to me that has better hardware that is cheaper than the X5III? I would be happy to get one and see if it works for my use case better than the X5III. I really would.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #11,545 of 15,899
@Karendar
That it is (difference of perspectives) and I totally respect your perspective. I prefer to allow my mental energy to tend towards the negative as little as possible. I consider this hobby to be something that doesn't impact my life significantly enough to allow it to make me unhappy (usually, no one is perfect).

Can you recommend something to me that has better hardware that is cheaper than the X5III? I would be happy to get one and see if it works for my use case better than the X5III. I really would.

What about the Onkyo DP-X1A?

I know that it is a Grey import in the UK, but I am seriously considering it now at the £400 price point.

Sep 23, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #11,546 of 15,899
OK, but that is around $540 US. I paid $360 for my X5III. The premise that @Karendar offered was that there are devices with "better" (newer?) hardware for cheaper.
I like that it does MQA. My curiosity is killing me about how well that format really works.

Sep 23, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #11,547 of 15,899
OK, but that is around $540 US. I paid $360 for my X5III. The premise that @Karendar offered was that there are devices with "better" (newer?) hardware for cheaper.
I like that it does MQA. My curiosity is killing me about how well that format really works.

I thought you would get it cheaper than us in the UK seeming it is produced for the Asian and American market. The X5III is currently £389 in the UK and the Onkyo can be bought for £393.

Sep 23, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #11,548 of 15,899
No problems. And I would like to be clear - I have never accepted any form of payment from manufacturers, advertisers, or from Head-Fi - and never will. My own personal integrity is too important to allow that.

I also find veiled accusations of shilling and/or fan boyism to be highly offensive. It also puts me in an impossible situation because as a Moderator I can’t defend myself or the next accusations will be against Head-Fi (sometimes you can’t win). How strongly do I feel about this? Well tonight I’ve asked to have my Moderator status revoked.

I hope the people who are questioning my integrity take a long hard look at themselves. And I’ll leave the matter there.

And thanks Matrix, I appreciate your time via PM.

One more time sincere sorry, Paul.
Excuse me.
Peace.

Sep 23, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #11,550 of 15,899
Have anyone tested the balanced output ?
I want to buy Fiio F9 and also maybe, balanced cable for my Meze 99 Classics. I know is very subjective the balanced output but I am very curios.

I really should compare the standard cable with the balanced cable before commenting but that will have to wait as it is unopened in my tech box.

I am using the balanced cable on the F9 with the X5III and it sounds amazing. My other in-ears are all standard 3.5 Bose, B&O and Nuforce, I also have Philips and Sennheiser that I don't use any more. These F9s blows them all away as long as you have good tips and a good seal. I can't wait to find out what the F9 Pro sounds like with a claimed better armature.

Users who are viewing this thread

• xtr4
Back