Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Jul 28, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #1,261 of 5,632
Down grade in what aspect? If you want more bass it could be an "upgrade" in enjoyment.

By that logic, Beats is an upgrade from the 800S. 
tongue.gif
  If you're posing your question as "which is better" I think it's understood that we're talking about everything from build quality to detail to tonality, etc.  If you're asking which has more bass, yes, the Elear has more bass.  

Overall, I think the HD800S is more detailed/resolving and has a more balanced FR.  The Elear isn't bad by any means, but I don't think it's up to par with the 800/800S.  It's a "fun" headphone with a bass-heavy FR and it's not the most resolving, though it's resolving enough for most mid-fi gear.  It doesn't scale up as much as the HD800/S either.

That comments was made on the audio head review. Could have been their Utopia review though.

http://audio-head.com/focal-elear-headphone-review/

That's my review and I don't recall calling these headphones more comfortable that the HD800 (because I don't think they are).  They're very comfortable, but so are the 800's.

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #1,262 of 5,632
By that logic, Beats is an upgrade from the 800S. :p   If you're posing your question as "which is better" I think it's understood that we're talking about everything from build quality to detail to tonality, etc.  If you're asking which has more bass, yes, the Elear has more bass.  

Overall, I think the HD800S is more detailed/resolving and has a more balanced FR.  The Elear isn't bad by any means, but I don't think it's up to par with the 800/800S.  It's a "fun" headphone with a bass-heavy FR and it's not the most resolving, though it's resolving enough for most mid-fi gear.  It doesn't scale up as much as the HD800/S either.

That's my review and I don't recall calling these headphones more comfortable that the HD800 (because I don't think they are).  They're very comfortable, but so are the 800's.
Hahaha Stillhart is on a roll today ....:thumbsup_tone1:

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jul 28, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #1,266 of 5,632
By that logic, Beats is an upgrade from the 800S. :p   If you're posing your question as "which is better" I think it's understood that we're talking about everything from build quality to detail to tonality, etc.  If you're asking which has more bass, yes, the Elear has more bass.  

[/quote

Yes that is what I was asking in a smart ass way lol. Just some times people value one aspect so greatly that they devalue other items

I am not a die hard audiophile these days (used to be) and now I dot mind a little color now and then which is why the Elear interest me.

Jul 28, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #1,267 of 5,632
Jul 28, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #1,268 of 5,632
mmmm.....so, the Elear is the equal of the HE 1000, wipes the HD 600 off the floor, sideswipes the HD 800 S, the Audeze LCD X  and the Ether but comes up short of the Utopia.

Change is coming and it is good. There's a new sheriff in town........deal with it.  lol!

P.S. now about the early critics.......<rolleyes>.

Jul 28, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #1,269 of 5,632
  Nice.

(I keep waiting for him to say 'see you at the next booth'). 

I will definitely check this out after my rodeo at the office. I like this person's reviews. Been following myself for quite a while. 

Jul 28, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #1,270 of 5,632
Would be nice if they became available sometime this century...

Jul 28, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #1,271 of 5,632
ot: mmm.....I also follow his WOF advice and my small collection  of HPs mirrors his WOF. Looks like I may end up with both the Elear and Utopia and cull the herd (the HD 800 but not the S and maybe the LCD X but not the 3F).  

Jul 28, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #1,273 of 5,632
Wow want a review. He pretty much compared them to everything I would want to compare them with. I find it interesting he wants even more bass?!?

Sadly these are going to hard to get ahold of now.

.... Now to buy these or the Flows... That is the question for me.

Yeah, i'm confused at the bass part myself. Because all you ever hear about these is that they are excellent on the bass section. Hmm
Maybe i'm just nitpicking. But until i hear for myself i guess i'll never know. 

Jul 28, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #1,274 of 5,632
Wow want a review. He pretty much compared them to everything I would want to compare them with. I find it interesting he wants even more bass?!?

Sadly these are going to hard to get ahold of now.

.... Now to buy these or the Flows... That is the question for me.

I think the Flow is a better headphone overall.  But it should be for 80% more... nothing wrong with that IMO.

BTW, anyone in SoCal can hear both the Focals and the new Flows at The Source A/V on Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back