Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Mar 7, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #6,976 of 12,308
Back to the topic of headphones, the ATH-R70X might be a good option for music that doesn't require a big soundstage. Comfort may be an issue though.

Brainwavz sheepskin pads, bro!

The one reason we've become so particular about headphones for metal is that the genre(s) demand certain characteristics, namely, speed. This is measured (or more accurately, observed), by looking at how the headphones' impact, attack, and quick decay. A lot of headphones aren't tuned that way, so you have to find out if it's good in that regard.

Maybe someone here can explain what graphs give us a good idea of what makes a good headphone for metal. 

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #6,977 of 12,308
Thanks for posting that video. Never watched it before. Honestly, I've kind of found Tyll to be a little bland, but that and his Beats video have changed my opinion. Maybe he needs to review some of the newer crap out there.

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #6,978 of 12,308
Back to the topic of headphones, the ATH-R70X might be a good option for music that doesn't require a big soundstage. Comfort may be an issue though.

Comfort might be an issue?... They look really comfortable! ATH A700X were quite comfy for me!  

Back in 2011, I needed to get a good pair of sealed headphones, but I wasn't on Headfi at the time. I narrowed it down to the Denon D2000 and the Ultrasone HFI-780. I went w/ the 780 because it was about $60 cheaper, and I was broke at the time. Boy do I regret that decision! Even w/ stretching out the headband and putting on Beyerdynamic velour pads, it was still super uncomfortable. 

There's also a funny video of @tyllherstens listening to one of Ultrasone's high-end models. He doesn't review it, or say a word. He just winces and grimaces the whole time while listening to the headphone. After those two experiences, I haven't been able to take any of their headphones seriously, and it's amazing how far we've come in just six years. It's also amazing how darn good those Fostex drivers from the DN2000 are, which are the grandfather of the super-dope TH Series that are so popular now. 

LOL

Never heard DN2000, but I heard that they can be pretty cool! 

Yeah, that's it. When I hear Ultrasone, I think of that, lol. 

Never heard that particular model to be honest. 

I heard both ED8 and ED 5. Both had really different tuning and sound, ultimately I preferred Sig DJ the most as an overall experience. 

Brainwavz sheepskin pads, bro!

The one reason we've become so particular about headphones for metal is that the genre(s) demand certain characteristics, namely, speed. This is measured (or more accurately, observed), by looking at how the headphones' impact, attack, and quick decay. A lot of headphones aren't tuned that way, so you have to find out if it's good in that regard.

Maybe someone here can explain what graphs give us a good idea of what makes a good headphone for metal. 

Those pads are life savers in way too many situations! 

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #6,979 of 12,308

Back in my infancy in this hobby I recall trying out a pair of Ultrasones and liking them...My tastes and preferences in headphones have changed a lot since then but this video has always prevented me from trying Ultrasones again.

I wonder how many sales this video has cost them?!?

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #6,982 of 12,308

I had this exact same reaction when listened to the Ultrasone Edition 8 headphone demo from Sonic Sense Pro Audio.
https://soundcloud.com/sonic-sense-pro-audio/ultrasone-edition-8?in=sonic-sense-pro-audio/sets/headphones-test

Those headphones have some kind of siblance, resonance harshness in the 2k to 10k range that's unbearable.

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #6,983 of 12,308
Brainwavz huh? Curious.. but I still think that ATH headband suspension contraption is wack.

All the Brainwayvs pads are interesting. They're all comfortable. However, they usually alter the sound significantly, and usually for the worse. Just have to do your homework on which headphone you want to use them for.

They're honestly a mixed bag.

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #6,985 of 12,308
Back in my infancy in this hobby I recall trying out a pair of Ultrasones and liking them...My tastes and preferences in headphones have changed a lot since then but this video has always prevented me from trying Ultrasones again.

I wonder how many sales this video has cost them?!?

Ultrasone's technology is very dependent on the shape of your ear. To some people S-Logic creates a crazy 3D surround effect. To others, it is unbearably sibilant. I fall into the latter camp - I personally can't stand them.

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #6,986 of 12,308
Ultrasone's technology is very dependent on the shape of your ear. To some people S-Logic creates a crazy 3D surround effect. To others, it is unbearably sibilant. I fall into the latter camp - I personally can't stand them.

Im not disputing that claim,but how different can the shape of ears be...and how does one know whether they have the "right" shape?

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #6,987 of 12,308
  Im not disputing that claim,but how different can the shape of ears be...and how does one know whether they have the "right" shape?

By testing 
biggrin.gif

If you're afraid, better demo them. It is hit and miss. 

After talking with people testing them, it is either love or hate, there didn't seem to be an in-between. When it works, it really works, and when it doesn't, it really doesn't. 

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #6,989 of 12,308
I think the Ultrasone S-Logic depends more on the relative location of the driver outside the ear. The idea of S-Logic is to place the driver on the back of the ear so it takes into account that you'll place the headphones in such position that the sound will be coming indirectly to the ear canal through small holes around the driver cover.

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #6,990 of 12,308
At this point I've pretty much completely ruled out the 400i in favor of the R70X for it's supposedly more natural sound and forgiving nature. Who knows, maybe symphonic will sound ok even with the lack of soundstage but it definitely seems like a winner for my hardcore punk collection, which I have much more of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back