Obscure Chinese DAPs
Jun 3, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #2,882 of 8,132
I am not sure about x3 but c3 is not bad for its price. It's just that I can't find any amp that pairs well with c3 and I am not the fan of its interface.

I have paired both a FiiO E12A and a Pocket Class A (by xrk971) with my X3. It sounds excellent with both.

Also, with Rockbox, the interface is completely customizable - you can customize menus, shortcuts, custom EQ profiles, and there's literally dozens of themes to change the screens to look any way you want (and display information in many different ways). You can also create your own theme from scratch if you don't like any of the available ones.

Here's just a few of the themes: http://themes.rockbox.org/?target=sansaclipplus

Rockbox is also installed in a dual-boot configuration, so the stock firmware remains on the player and you are free to switch back and forth between Rockbox and the stock firmware with just a simple button press. Most people don't use the stock firmware though, because it has serious bugs that were never fixed by Xduoo. Rockbox is open source, and is regularly developed by an HF member. He seems to release an update every 4-8 weeks or as needed to add new features, make improvements, or fix bugs.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #2,883 of 8,132
I have paired both a FiiO E12A and a Pocket Class A (by xrk971) with my X3. It sounds excellent with both.

Also, with Rockbox, the interface is completely customizable - you can customize menus, shortcuts, custom EQ profiles, and there's literally dozens of themes to change the screens to look any way you want (and display information in many different ways). You can also create your own theme from scratch if you don't like any of the available ones.

Here's just a few of the themes: http://themes.rockbox.org/?target=sansaclipplus

Rockbox is also installed in a dual-boot configuration, so the stock firmware remains on the player and you are free to switch back and forth between Rockbox and the stock firmware with just a simple button press. Most people don't use the stock firmware though, because it has serious bugs that were never fixed by Xduoo. Rockbox is open source, and is regularly developed by an HF member. He seems to release an update every 4-8 weeks or as needed to add new features, make improvements, or fix bugs.

Cool! I am gonna give it a shot customizing the theme. I'll try to look for the amp and see if how it goes.

Jun 4, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #2,884 of 8,132
Jun 5, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #2,886 of 8,132
It looks similar to one of the Ruizu models. Could be a good DAP but for me if there's no dedicated volume buttons I'm not interested.

Funny, you write this exactly when i'm looking to find a dedicated volume in pictures product and i'm like what the heck can't find it....well, now where into a ONN X5 pseudo-product for sure...wich is good for sound at very cheap price but not for interface!

Finally, I try my chance on a Zishan Z1 cause I need a external amp and it got a DAC I never hear but isn't looking too sound bad (sabre es9023)....order from a very strange site and I wonder if i'm dumb. Wondr if somebody order from this Import-express site...?

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #2,887 of 8,132
Cool! I am gonna give it a shot customizing the theme. I'll try to look for the amp and see if how it goes.

It's very easy. You just download the theme files (as many as you want), copy them to the card, and try each one out by choosing the file in the "Browse Themes" setting.

Also, all the help you could ever need is at the Rockbox X3 thread (along with tips, tricks, mods, etc): https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/rockbox-xduoo-x3.803844/

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #2,888 of 8,132
Now this one looks very promising! Seems Ruizu are stepping up their game. Not the most original of designs if you're familiar with the Shanling M1 but it looks great nevertheless.

HTB1cNw5RpXXXXaUapXXq6xXFXXXH.jpg HTB1ENRsRFXXXXXlXVXXq6xXFXXXf.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...2-5-Inch-Screen-Hifi/1872942_32814736724.html

Jun 6, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #2,889 of 8,132
Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #2,890 of 8,132
Just recently found this thread and my wallet is giving a happy nod. I own plenue D which I like very much. The battery life is top notch (70-100 hours).
Is there a cheap to modest chi-fi dap with the same level of battery life? Well the obvious, like portability and SQ should be decent.

Jun 9, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #2,893 of 8,132
It's very easy. You just download the theme files (as many as you want), copy them to the card, and try each one out by choosing the file in the "Browse Themes" setting.

Also, all the help you could ever need is at the Rockbox X3 thread (along with tips, tricks, mods, etc): https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/rockbox-xduoo-x3.803844/

you two are talking at cross purposes. you cannot modify the theme of the Colorfly C3 which what Ahmadfaiza has. an amp that pairs well with the C3 is the Topping NX1 btw.

Jun 9, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #2,894 of 8,132
Not many interesting budget DAPs at the moment. The only ones that excite me are the new Ruizu (M1 clone) and the upgraded Rocker. :rolling_eyes:

LOL as soon as I posted this I discovered the upgraded Benjie S5, now with Bluetooth for $27.98!

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #2,895 of 8,132
you two are talking at cross purposes. you cannot modify the theme of the Colorfly C3 which what Ahmadfaiza has. an amp that pairs well with the C3 is the Topping NX1 btw.

Ah, missed that. Sorry for the confusion @Ahmadfaiza!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back