Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jan 18, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #16,531 of 24,655
  With ya Focker, I thought it was great.  I'm almost 40.  Not sure a 9.8, but still, up there.

American Sniper for me was more like a 7.  I really wish they stretched out the ending a little more.  Yada yada, then boom, he's been killed and roll credits.

I really think it correlates strongly with personal experience, you know? I must have counted like ten life events that were depicted in a manner that hit home with me very strongly. As I'm typing this, they're just flooding into my brain...

Not that it matters all that much in the grand scheme, but I used to separate "favorite" films of all time from "best" films of all time. CAse in point, something like Schindlers List. One of the best movies ever? In my opinion, yes. But can I say it's a favorite? No. But then I got tired of having two lists so I sort of just lumped everything in together. So on a technical "best of" scale, I wouldn't give Boyhood a 9.8....but I loved the hell out of it so much that it was an easy 10, and it's one of the few films I know with certainty I'll watch again. So my rating is highly impacted by that side of my scale lol

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #16,532 of 24,655
  Same sentiments.  Same generation group.

Yep, I think there really is something to it. The "Linklater Demographic" folks will see the film completely differently. 

Jan 19, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #16,533 of 24,655
John Wick: 9/10

Where the **** have you been Keenau Reeves??? It's been 10 years!!!

John Wick is a stylish welcome back for Keenau Reeves. With it's action packed, thrilling plot and surprising emotional action pack performance from Reeves, it is a must watch.

Jan 19, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #16,534 of 24,655
Yeah, John Wick was pretty entertaining. And I think they should have run a headshot counter somewehre on the screen. The whole premise of the movie is quite ridiculous but it was a fun watch. 6/10

The Wedding Ringer - 5/10
Quite mediocre and not really that funny. Maybe if one watches with some good reefer in hand it might give you some good laughs but going completely sober into it is not something I would recommend unless you have nothing better to do.

Taken 3 - 5/10
Pretty weak and not even Liam Neeson could save it, who by the way is getting too old for this schiit. Can't even run anymore. 

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #16,535 of 24,655
I do agree the start was kind of weak due to the speed they talk about John Wick's wife death but the premise was resonable of me, even though it's about revenge for a puppy's death. But who cares we got an hour of Reeves using a gun and cqc action, particularly the night club scene.

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #16,536 of 24,655
Re: American Sniper (gave it a 9/10 earlier)

Read the book this weekend and saw the movie a second time. Mostly to verify it's accuracy.
It's basically like a overview of 25% of the book, but gave you a very good idea as to what Chris Kyle was like.
I'm not convinced he was haunted by his 126 kills as much as they portrayed in the movie.
In the book perhaps he wanted to hide how much the war had affected him. Who knows. Makes sense.
He was trained to kill terrorists and that's what he did. If he doesn't shed a tear for them does that make him a bad guy? Not to me really.
They had very specific rules of engagement. They could only shoot people doing bad things with a gun. Even if they had a gun that often did not give them a green light.
They had to have paperwork and a witness on all of them.
The movie is very generic as a whole and sort of like a John Wayne style western.
There is just bad guys and good guys in the movie. No in between.
Mostly portrayed Iraqis as murdering scum. Too bad it was this way. Sure, they had translators, but in the book they were probably not from Iraq.
This part is kind of annoying.

They also added in a bunch of nonsense to entertain the audience that's not in any way historically accurate. Not a big deal, but typical Hollywood stuff:

No mega-boss encounters in the book. Sorry!
The Butcher scene in reality is made up.
A character like this did exist though.
No final kill scene against the Olympic Sniper.
Nope, in reality he did not hit him at 2100 yards.
This is all made up Hollywood nonsense, which is OK.
He DID get a kill at 2100 yards though, which is 1.2 miles!
No family dinner scene (the one where they had a weapons cache).
The Biggles storyline is mostly true and pretty sad. Glad they kept kept this.
Chris did not shoot any kid with a grenade. Didn't happen. In the book a kid did pick up a gun, but Chris said he wouldn't shoot.

Anyway, the 2nd viewing it went downhill a little. If you want an accurate book to movie adaptation you'll be disappointed. The book itself is too in depth to be made into a 2 hour movie really. 9/10 seems a little too nice. Somewhere between 8.5 to 9 seems about right.

Even Saving Private Ryan is better and i'm not a huge fan of that and think that's a very generic war movie too. Nothing special about it at all.

Jan 19, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #16,537 of 24,655
Whiplash: 10/10

My god this is intense. At the end I jumped up and screaming YYYYEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! Breathless and thoughtful, and the acting is just too beautiful, especially with JK Simmons and Miles Teller. And the music is very upbeat and energetic and...

You know what, just check it out.

Jan 19, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #16,538 of 24,655
Foxcatcher 7/10. Steve Carell hopefully wont get an Oscar for this. Wears so much makeup he looks like a zombie and make acting impossible.

Jan 19, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #16,539 of 24,655
The Babadook -7/10. A really good thriller and horror movie; it is clearly trying to blur the lines between ghost story and human horror. I think it did a great job but it did seem a little slow and too campy at times; I wish it had been longer and given more explanation as to what the Babadook was...because the ending REALLY blurs what is actually going on.

HellRaiser 8/10: a great horror movie through and through; it is a nice reminder to see that horror movies don't just have to be about monsters and the majority of the movie is focused on the characters that the monsters are hunting...and how they are really just the worst kind of people. It's been a long time since I have watched the series.

HellRaiser 2 -7/10: not as good as the first...clearly; but it still isn't bad and the concept behind it is really interesting, it starts to fall apart at the end but it has a pretty good ending.

Hellraiser 3 Hell on earth -4/10...8/10 if it were a comedy: no really; its hilarious. Just everything about this movie was kinda...wrong; it just feels silly and forced. They even make a comment about how the cenobites in this movie are just terrible.

Hellraiser 4 Bloodlines -2/10...or 3/5? I'm really not sure any more. The cenobites are a lot better...but it's clear they just wanted to kill this series after the second movie and it just WON'T DIE IT IS FOREVER! A silly story told in three parts one ending with demons on a space ship....thats pretty much all you need to know; oh and Adam Scott is in it.

Jan 19, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #16,540 of 24,655
Yeah, Hellraiser was pretty good. It's a shame they ruined it and haven't made a good one in over a decade. And, yeah, I've watched all 9 movies in hope that things will change. Personally, my favorites are probably 1 and 5 Inferno but hopefully the upcoming reboot will make up for all the crap they made

Jan 19, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #16,541 of 24,655
  Foxcatcher 7/10. Steve Carell hopefully wont get an Oscar for this. Wears so much makeup he looks like a zombie and make acting impossible.

That guy John Du Pont was a zombie! Have you seen him in real life?
You should watch the video of the real John Du Pont. I think Steve Carell got it just about perfect.
Seems like non-acting, but the guy in real life was just awkward to be around around, talked slow and acted very similar.
I was watching him talk about his farm and it almost put me to sleep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4WOqUkJmFQ

The movie might bore some people to death.

Carell might not win because the voters at the Oscars seem to like excessive overacting.
Not too many of those this year though I guess.

I actually think Matthew McConaughey deserved a spot over maybe Bradley Cooper.
I don't think he was overacting considering what had happened to him in the movie.

Eddie Redmayne will probably win, but I won't say why.

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #16,543 of 24,655

That guy John Du Pont was a zombie! Have you seen him in real life?
You should watch the video of the real John Du Pont. I think Steve Carell got it just about perfect.
Seems like non-acting, but the guy in real life was just awkward to be around around, talked slow and acted very similar.
I was watching him talk about his farm and it almost put me to sleep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4WOqUkJmFQ

The movie might bore some people to death.

Carell might not win because the voters at the Oscars seem to like excessive overacting.
Not too many of those this year though I guess.

I actually think Matthew McConaughey deserved a spot over maybe Bradley Cooper.
I don't think he was overacting considering what had happened to him in the movie.

Eddie Redmayne will probably win, but I won't say why.

I could have made that role even better. Just suck at acting and you are doing great :)

Overacting at least you act. And if it was theater it wouldn´t be overacting.

Watched Casanova great fun. 7/10. the farse just spiralled a bit out of control in the end.

Jan 20, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #16,544 of 24,655
"American Sniper" [6.4/10]: I was very disappointed. If you have seen the trailers, you have seen the movie. There are multitudes of better war movies. There are better movies about snipers ("Enemy At The Gates"). There are better movies about recent wars, and the experience of the soldiers in those wars. There are better movies that focus on the cause and effects of PTSD. I am at a loss to understand the acclaim/buzz that this movie is getting...just my opinion.

Jan 20, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #16,545 of 24,655
Predictions for oscar

Best pic: American Sniper

Best director: Birdman's direction (I'm bad at names)

Best Actor: Birdman

Best Support Actor: JK Simmons

Best Cinematorgraphy: Either Birdman or The Grand Budpast Hotel

Best animation: How to Train Your Dragon 2 or Big Hero 6 or Princess Kaguya

If I'm right, I'll be dammed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back