Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 22, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #133,591 of 152,427
Sounds like an awesome plan. A friendly idea, if you are buying the Zu, buy a couple of sets of their snubbers at the same time, at various resistance levels. They are fun to play around with and really do impact what you hear from the speakers.

I remain super convinced that component synergy is real, the snubbers help to get the best sound from your components, for your tastes.
Reading about those now!

Dec 22, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #133,592 of 152,427
Knowing almost nothing about what output impedance means wrt driving speakers, I'm not sure yet if that will be a deciding factor in going for the 2 vs the 1. I look forward to learning more about Aegir 2. :)

I looked up your speakers and it appears they have a full range driver that is already damped... that should play very well with Aegir 2. Aegir 2 will have lower damping factor (10), which is what you want with a speaker that has mechanical damping in the design. Their manual was pretty impressive... a lot of detail and they obviously care about their product / customer. I would give them a call and tell them you are looking at using an amp with a very low damping factor of 10. Confirm with them that the main driver in your speaker is already well damped (it appears it is, that's what enables that full range driver to play higher than a "normal" driver of that size) Ask them how that would pair with the amp. Their manual says "try different amps to see what you like"... which is a good answer to cover the issue, in general. (Does strategy of advice sound familiar?) However, if you talk that detail of damping factor with them I think their answer regarding Aegir 2 will be a resounding "Yes!". That doesn't mean Aegir 1 wouldn't pair well... but I would do Aegir 2. Of course, I could be stoopid - and you get what you pay for.

As for me, I'm a low damping factor man... because I like 2 way speakers with a 100hz high pass... don't need to worry about "controlling" a woofer. That is left for the proper tool for the job - dual subs that can be tuned for the room they're in. But that's a different conversation...

1703225676863.png

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 1:52 AM Post #133,593 of 152,427
I looked up your speakers and it appears they have a full range driver that is already damped... that should play very well with Aegir 2. Aegir 2 will have lower damping factor (10), which is what you want with a speaker that has mechanical damping in the design. Their manual was pretty impressive... a lot of detail and they obviously care about their product / customer. I would give them a call and tell them you are looking at using an amp with a very low damping factor of 10. Confirm with them that the main driver in your speaker is already well damped (it appears it is, that's what enables that full range driver to play higher than a "normal" driver of that size) Ask them how that would pair with the amp. Their manual says "try different amps to see what you like"... which is a good answer to cover the issue, in general. (Does strategy of advice sound familiar?) However, if you talk that detail of damping factor with them I think their answer regarding Aegir 2 will be a resounding "Yes!". That doesn't mean Aegir 1 wouldn't pair well... but I would do Aegir 2. Of course, I could be stoopid - and you get what you pay for.

As for me, I'm a low damping factor man... because I like 2 way speakers with a 100hz high pass... don't need to worry about "controlling" a woofer. That is left for the proper tool for the job - dual subs that can be tuned for the room they're in. But that's a different conversation...

1703225676863.png
Great! This is all very helpful info for me to digest. I appreciate it a lot!

Dec 22, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #133,594 of 152,427
Dec 22, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #133,595 of 152,427
The Gungnir 2 is intriguing. I am using a modest Modius AKM Unison in my home system after moving my Bifrost 2/64 to work. I was considering a Yggdrasil GS2 but now think that might be living in the past at this point. Who knows since the only info we have is Jason holding up the board and saying it would be their own Delta Sigma with new things in store. I suppose the worst scenario is I don’t want the Gungnir 2 and go for a LiM instead. Thoughts?
It's a big refresh while Yggy, great as it is.. has aged, struggles with SE performance and has certain FR tendencies.

Dec 22, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #133,597 of 152,427
It's a big refresh while Yggy, great as it is.. has aged, struggles with SE performance and has certain FR tendencies.

What is "FR"...?

Dec 22, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #133,599 of 152,427
YGGY "aged"? Dunno. I didn't realize gear has an expiration date for when the Magic Smoke™️ dissipates. I guess I should toss my 30-year-old TASCAM CD player with XLR outs.

Dec 22, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #133,602 of 152,427
Dec 22, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #133,603 of 152,427
Thankfully I haven’t heard this SE struggle in my rigs. GS sounded great, OG sounds a little better. One of these days I’ll pick up some XLR cables… you know, for fun.

Dec 22, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #133,604 of 152,427
And here I thought Yggy was upgradable. 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back