Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 19, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #1,066 of 6,472
The jot's DAC and preamp out will work perfectly fine for your scenario.

Ok, I was under the impression using multiple amps like that would introduce distortion.

You aren't double amping in this situation. The Jot has pre outs, which means the signal exits before it is amped.

Sep 19, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #1,068 of 6,472

You aren't double amping in this situation. The Jot has pre outs, which means the signal exits before it is amped.

Ok, so the only difference between this and line out is needing to keep the Jot turned on to use the pre out or is there any other difference?

and adjust the volume on the jot. Easiest is to set the volume on the amp high and use the Jot's volume.

Sep 19, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #1,070 of 6,472
  It can be very bright, depending on the source, music, headphone. Think of the Jodie as more literal. It is not going to hold back. If the music screeches, you're going to hear the screech.

Exactly. The Jodie's fuller rendering of low frequencies in jazz (double bass, kick drum, low piano keys) through my Ether C Flows makes it sound (to my ears) a bit warmer than the Asgard 2, especially balanced. In the midrange, I always felt that the Asgard 2 struggled a bit with my headphones (Alpha Primes and now Ether C Flows) in loud piano passages, with a somewhat unnatural mix of harmonics in a kind of "bloom" over the fundamental and main harmonics. The Jodie does it better, getting close to what I get on my speaker system. On higher frequencies (those I can hear, anyway, I'm no spring chicken), I find the two amps pretty similar, with a slight edge for the Jodie in attack speed. Both are a bit more forward than my speaker amp (class D Bel Canto C7R), which is polite to a fault.

Sep 19, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #1,071 of 6,472
A little off topic but since myself & others were comparing DACs I thought this might help. ( My apologies to whoever wrote it, let me know and i will give you credit)

1. Best of D-S Dacs - an indistinct sound is barely audible in the recording that appears to not be musically related to the orchestral piece playing

2. Modi MB - someone in the violin section has flatulated.
3. Bifrost MB - more precisely it was someone in the Second Violin section.
4. Gungnir MB - the flatulent sound originates with the 2nd chair in the 2nd row of the 2nd violins
5. Yggdrasil - that 2nd chair, 2nd row, 2nd violinist has let loose with a Db when clearly the piece being played is in the key of G.

Attribution for the post quoted belongs to one atomicbob, who has measured all schiit's MB dacs in his audio lab. Apparently, he knows a bit about measuring dacs. You should be able to find the threads round here without much trouble.

Atomicbob was being "terse" and "ribald" in his descriptions, ie I suppose he was poking fun at d/s a bit. All the same, he seems seriously impressed by what schiit have achieved with their MB tech.

Sep 19, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #1,072 of 6,472
Attribution for the post quoted belongs to one atomicbob, who has measured all schiit's MB dacs in his audio lab. Apparently, he knows a bit about measuring dacs. You should be able to find the threads round here without much trouble.

Atomicbob was being "terse" and "ribald" in his descriptions, ie I suppose he was poking fun at d/s a bit. All the same, he seems seriously impressed by what schiit have achieved with their MB tech.

Thank you, PM'd him & thanked him...

Sep 19, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #1,073 of 6,472
  Gee, last year the DACs that most people were raving about were D/S some of which cost thousands of dollars and now they all suck. Perhaps there is a bit too much exaggeration with the MB thing.

MB stuff could be prejudicial due to Atomic Bob's measurements as published on this forum.

Also, I have always been on record re economic advantage of ds.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 19, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #1,074 of 6,472
  Thanks, I was apparently misinformed. Is there any reason to prefer a line out at all in that case?

With line out there is only volume pot to adjust, so a more direct signal path.

Sep 20, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #1,075 of 6,472

MB stuff could be prejudicial due to Atomic Bob's measurements as published on this forum.

Also, I have always been on record re economic advantage of ds.

I wonder at what point, how much do measurements really mean since technology may have eclipsed our abilities to perceive. How much is amplified by the excitement of something new. It's nice that Schiit offers new stuff at non wallet busting prices.

Sep 20, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #1,077 of 6,472

Hi, As you know I am looking at the Jot vs the Lyr, what gains are you finding moving from the Magni 2U to the Jot with your HD650's?

Are you using balanced or SE and did you consider the Lyr?

Thanks in advance! 

The gains were.. surprising, frankly. Everything is so much snappier, clearer, more detailed. Would I be able to tell the difference blind, volume matched? A resounding "yes".

I know that audiophools like like claim that every change (even ones with only an imaginary effect) is "night and day", so that does devalue the currency a bit. However, it's a really noticeable kick up the arse for the HD650. Small sounds way down in the mix are not just audible, but have detail and attack. It's a really nice combo. I was having slight buyer's remorse for jumping on the Jotenheim so fast, but the results shut me up.

I didn't consider the Lyr, even though it has a great reputation. I was interested in the Jotenheim because I have been after a balanced SS amp- but wasn't thrilled with my options. Maybe some day I shall get a tube amp as a luxury second amp, but I really wanted a reliable SS amp that didn't need babying. Having to regard bits of my amp as consumables, and the endless circle jerk "tube rolling" threads repel me a bit- that's my peculiarity, with which I am completely comfortable. 

The thing is, a lot of the amps which are famously good matches with the HD650 are tube amps (is it a current thing?), so it was a quandry. However, the Jotenheim is such a no-brainer good match at a decent price that it seemed rude not to.

In answer to your other questions, I am using a Modi Multibit (or sometimes a Chord Mojo) SE into the Jotenheim, and then the HD650 balanced out of it. I have a second standard HD650 cable reterminated to XLR, which I was able to compare to the standard HD650 cable. The SE out of the Jotenheim is really very good, so they're close, but I did hear some very slight detail improvement with the balanced cable. It was mostly in the attack of sounds, subtle but pleasing.

The best example, which I keep using, is Bowie's "Word On A Wing".. On the (surprisingly nice for the price/size) Magni 2U in the HD650, the xylophones low in the mix are fairly hard to hear. On the Jotenheim with the SE out, they're much more audible and have a pleasant musical sound. On the Jotenheim with the balanced out, they are clear and musical, but you can also hear the percussive attack at the start of the note. It's that sort of micro-detail that is sometimes called "plankton" on Another Site Which Shall Not Be Mentioned.

I'm sure the Lyr will sound badass too- if that's how your tastes run. I was drawn to the Jotenheim partly because I wanted to see what running my headphones balanced would sound like. It has additional  advantages- I have a pair of Adam Audio A5, that I can throw on the back balanced, too. I'm rejigging things a bit, and this is a nice option to have.

If you want the reliability (hopefully! it's a bit early) and flexibility of the SS balanced Jotenheim, you won't regret it as a pairing for your HD650, for sure. It's stupidly good. However, if you secretly want to be a little tubey sometimes, the Lyr will probably make you happy. You probably can't make a bad decision in this situation. Maybe it's time for you to make a pro/con list of each to compare what they bring to your specific use cases?

I hope that helps a bit. I feel like I am retreading a lot of what I said in my quick review of the Jotenheim:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/schiit-audio-jotunheim/reviews/16839

There may be some other useful tidbits there, possibly, though I think I have just repeated the useful points :D

Sep 20, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #1,079 of 6,472
  Thanks for taking the time to reply, I don't really want the hassle of tube rolling so SS is the best bet for me I think.

Anyway Jotunheim has now been ordered!

Keep us posted on your impressions! I have the modi multibit coming tomorrow which will be paired with the magni 2 uber (at least till I can justify buying the jot 
wink_face.gif
)

Sep 20, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #1,080 of 6,472
  Thanks for taking the time to reply, I don't really want the hassle of tube rolling so SS is the best bet for me I think.

Anyway Jotunheim has now been ordered!

You're welcome- they were fair questions :)

That said, I think the Lyr is supposed to be just fine with its stock tubes, but yes, I hear you on the hassle- and fretting about not leaving your amp on all day! Anyway, I hope you enjoy your Jot- it's a beast at that price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back