Schiit Midgard - Impressions Thread
Dec 2, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #301 of 597
The impedance is not the determining factor, it's the size, shape and travel length of the drivers. Planars are barely moving, hence halo isn't supposed to make much difference in them
I wonder what difference Halo would make with Focal headphones? They're dynamic and quite excursive but also rather low impedance (at least the Focal Clear MG and lower, not sure about Stellia and Utopia).

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #302 of 597
Dec 3, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #303 of 597
Dec 3, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #304 of 597
I'm not sure what the policy is on posting links to other forums is here so I apologize if I'm over stepping, but here is the the link to the comparison I found. I hope it's helpful!

Link: https://superbestaudiofriends.org/i...ty-review-and-measurements.13965/#post-419916
LOL I mean I don't know what the policy is but this is really helpful, thanks!

From what I gathered is that, assuming from same DAC:

Magni Unity SE > Midgard SE
Magni Unity SE = Midgard Balanced (at least in resolution)

But presentation is different, that Magni Unity is more colored and thicker sound, and Midgard is more neutral sound.

Though Midgard benefit from able to use balanced DAC, but I don't know how much that helps since it's technically a single ended amp underneath from what I've been told. So say Magni Unity need to be paired with Modi+ but Midgard is able to use Modius for example.

Earlier one part is confusing, it sounds like the person find Magni Unity is still an evolution of Magni, he claim it's not a giant killer. It's the best Magni but for the most part he still find that it's still a Magni.

Though I've read some comparison with Midgard to Jot2 and Asgard, so I feel like Midgard is at least at that level. But if Magni Unity is about same resolution as Midgard, by extension then Magni Unity, Midgard, Asgard 3, and Jot2 should all be comparable just different presentation, theoretically.

So at least on paper, I think Magni Unity might be for me since I like more colored sound + I don't need to buy a balanced cable then LOL.

We'll probably wait for more user reviews before making the call.
Yeah, the guys that started that forum were disgruntled head-fi refugees...
:sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #305 of 597
LOL I mean I don't know what the policy is but this is really helpful, thanks!

From what I gathered is that, assuming from same DAC:

Magni Unity SE > Midgard SE
Magni Unity SE = Midgard Balanced (at least in resolution)

But presentation is different, that Magni Unity is more colored and thicker sound, and Midgard is more neutral sound.

Though Midgard benefit from able to use balanced DAC, but I don't know how much that helps since it's technically a single ended amp underneath from what I've been told. So say Magni Unity need to be paired with Modi+ but Midgard is able to use Modius for example.
You’re confusing input and output. Having the ability to go balanced in, depending on the dac, can double the voltage, usually 4V vs 2V. This sends a louder signal to the amp and so you will definitely be getting more volume regardless of whether the amp is single ended or balanced out.

Dec 3, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #306 of 597
This has been my experience when using the balanced output on my Modius into the XLR inputs on my Midgard.

I did have to buy a balanced cable for my 6XX's to use with the Midgard, but I found a pretty cheap one that I'm very happy with on Amazon for about $23.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #307 of 597
Hey Head-Fi peeps,
I figured out a way to control volume with Audirvana from their remote app. I was struggling because I had DSD selected; going to PCM for the Modius had me thinking I should be able to control volume, but it deferred to PCM while I still had DSD selected...I had to "officially" go back to PCM. Bottom line, all is good now and the volume control requirement for a pre upgrade (to Kara) is now put on ice. Soooo....a bit of a digression, I want to get some headphones and use them in balance mode with the Halo output. Friend of mine has a pair of Sennheiser HD 650 headphones I can borrow, so what cable do I need and can it purchased fully built ready to plug and play in balance mode? Thank you for answering. And Midgard continues to impress...

Dec 3, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #308 of 597
Yup! You can buy them pre made with the XLR attached. I got mine on Amazon for $23. There are more expensive better cables out there, I hear Hart Cables are great, but this one has worked beautifully for me. You just need to make sure the one you get has the special Sennheiser connectors and a 4 pin balanced XLR on the other end.

Here is the link to the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/Youkamoo-Replacement-Upgrade-Compatible-Headphones/dp/B08LF295B2

Dec 3, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #309 of 597
I was biased to the RME because I already owned it. Did an A-B test. RME was Wow, it's great with my first test track (ran flat, no EQ). Then tried the Schiit stack, and Wow, it's great too...but different because of more lower bass energy which gave me the sensation of a bigger soundstage. So that was my first test and I'm doing more test. Love the Schiit.IMG_5637-2.jpg

I have the RME adi-2 dac too, it is very nice indeed, simple connection to the Vidar 2 and has many functions like EQ, very clean and precise, a very good tool as well.

I also own a Modi Multibit 2, previously use the Asgard 3 as a pre, few days ago got a RK27 Alps volume control, then I by put it between the Modi and Vidar 2, it sound as good as the RME.

Dec 3, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #310 of 597
Yup! You can buy them pre made with the XLR attached. I got mine on Amazon for $23. There are more expensive better cables out there, I hear Hart Cables are great, but this one has worked beautifully for me. You just need to make sure the one you get has the special Sennheiser connectors and a 4 pin balanced XLR on the other end.

Here is the link to the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/Youkamoo-Replacement-Upgrade-Compatible-Headphones/dp/B08LF295B2
Thank you!

Dec 3, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #311 of 597
I have the RME adi-2 dac too, it is very nice indeed, simple connection to the Vidar 2 and has many functions like EQ, very clean and precise, a very good tool as well.

I also own a Modi Multibit 2, previously use the Asgard 3 as a pre, few days ago got a RK27 Alps volume control, then I by put it between the Modi and Vidar 2, it sound as good as the RME.
Isn't that the same Alps volume control that is in the Midgard, the RK27?

Dec 4, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #314 of 597
IMG_8997.jpeg

Audio Nirvana at work! Midgard is just mind-blowingly amazing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back