Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Nov 2, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #361 of 1,999
Any reviews on SQ ? i just got mine, clarity soundstage is decent. (wouldnt consider myself an audiophile) but compared to my PHA-1A, the bass impact and thump seems lacking, esp in classic rock with drum solos. This is my first DAP though so i cant compare to anything than my Galaxy S8.

Nov 2, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #362 of 1,999
Any reviews on SQ ? i just got mine, clarity soundstage is decent. (wouldnt consider myself an audiophile) but compared to my PHA-1A, the bass impact and thump seems lacking, esp in classic rock with drum solos. This is my first DAP though so i cant compare to anything than my Galaxy S8.
Compared to my LG V20, it does indeed lack bass impact and depth however the staging is wider and treble is much more emphasized which sometimes stings my ears if the track has been mastered hot

Nov 2, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #363 of 1,999
please try to always specify the IEM/headphone used when you make such comments. it doesn't always help if we know nothing about said IEM, but a lot of confusion can be avoided when we do.

Nov 2, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #364 of 1,999
please try to always specify the IEM/headphone used when you make such comments. it doesn't always help if we know nothing about said IEM, but a lot of confusion can be avoided when we do.
My bad..that was my first post in Headfi..lol. Using Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro and 1More Triple driver. Variety of genres from Jazz to Classic Rock, all FLAC or ALAC files.
I noticed the missing "thump" drum beat impact when i switched over to Sony's PHA-1A (wm8740 dac) on the same songs. But clarity and soundstage seems better on the A45.

Any one here know how to get the bluetooth to auto-connect to my car system? Previously using my phones to connect to car audio, it will auto connect everytime i start the car. But A45 i have to enter settings menu to reconnect. I don't switch off but it goes to "sleep". Peugeot 208 standard audio.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #365 of 1,999
Mine arrived today from Amazon Japan - 6 days from Japan to South Africa. Very impressed. No duties other than the Amazon deposit and it shipped with DHL.

Will provide feedback - but so far MQA and Sony 1000xM2 via LDAC (quality mode) sound insanely good. Makes all other bluetooth codecs sound like muddy water in comparison.

One caveat: EQ and other sound enhancement settings have ZERO effect on the 1000xM2's: ie. no custom EQ adjustments. Hopefully this gets fixed quickly via a firmware update.

Nov 2, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #366 of 1,999
Mine arrived today from Amazon Japan - 6 days from Japan to South Africa. Very impressed. No duties other than the Amazon deposit and it shipped with DHL.

Will provide feedback - but so far MQA and Sony 1000xM2 via LDAC (quality mode) sound insanely good. Makes all other bluetooth codecs sound like muddy water in comparison.

One caveat: EQ and other sound enhancement settings have ZERO effect on the 1000xM2's: ie. no custom EQ adjustments. Hopefully this gets fixed quickly via a firmware update.
it isnt a bug, its supposed to not work over anything but SBC. Its known that it does not work.

Nov 3, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #368 of 1,999
heyyy... is a40 series have click/pop sound between songs when connected over digital to external device?

shanling m1 have such issue (i just click next song and it have such weird click/pop. also when frequency change. it is not noticeable over normal usage as DAP on low gain) and it is driving me nuts.. used player for a few days and already want to replace it because it could not be a transport properly :frowning2:

local sony in vietnam seems to be have a40 series available for 220$~ ... so i think to just go and get it if it is not affected by clicks/pops between songs :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #369 of 1,999
Bought myself the A45. So far have to say it was a good purchase. Smooth UI and great sound quality with a ton of "EQ features" like the DSEE HX and stuff. If anyone is wondering Sony Nw A45 vs Lg V20, i found the A45 to be better than the LG V20 with its quad dac. A45 has wider staging and a transparent sounding player. However the only downfall to this player is the USB DAC will have a delay of about 0.5 seconds from my laptop. Meaning when playing games and even youtube, the sound output and image on screen aren't coherent. Creating playlist needs to be done with an external program for example using the Sony MediaGo.
The usb dac latency seems like a deal breaker for such an important feature. Does turning off any of the sound enhancements like DSEE help to reduce it?

Nov 4, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #370 of 1,999
The usb dac latency seems like a deal breaker for such an important feature. Does turning off any of the sound enhancements like DSEE help to reduce it?
From my experience, unfortunately it doesnt help in anway. In fact from my knowledge of reading up all the threads, most DAP (cayin N3 as well) that can act as USB DAC will have this latency delay. I can only think of this USB DAC as an additional feature and nothing more.

Nov 4, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #371 of 1,999
From my experience, unfortunately it doesnt help in anway. In fact from my knowledge of reading up all the threads, most DAP (cayin N3 as well) that can act as USB DAC will have this latency delay. I can only think of this USB DAC as an additional feature and nothing more.
I see. Thanks! Really hard to find a dap that ticks all the boxes...

Nov 4, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #372 of 1,999
F9AF7497-3946-4DC5-8936-9B30F8A429A1.jpeg 97092E07-007A-44C4-8CC4-9BA8B10FEEC1.jpeg

So i got nw-a45 from vietnamese retail.

Dead silent. No hissing, no popping. Happen to be volume unlocked out of box. Bit Perfectly outputs to my pha3. No issues like with shanling m1. Gonna sell that little cursed shanling player or try to return it back (shop refuse).

Is there any firmware updates yet? Mine came with 1.0 firmware and there is three high res songs preloaded.

Attachments

• 256C436F-C1BB-4B25-98DC-CB41C7B888C8.jpeg
    256C436F-C1BB-4B25-98DC-CB41C7B888C8.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #373 of 1,999
So i got nw-a45 from vietnamese retail.

Dead silent. No hissing, no popping. Happen to be volume unlocked out of box. Bit Perfectly outputs to my pha3. No issues like with shanling m1. Gonna sell that little cursed shanling player or try to return it back (shop refuse).

Is there any firmware updates yet? Mine came with 1.0 firmware and there is three high res songs preloaded.
As of now, there aren't updates I know of. Anyways you can always check through the official sony website to see for any firmware update.

Nov 5, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #374 of 1,999
i would like to add some information about cover and tag support - people can easily just sync itunes folder to MUSIC folder on microsd but for covers to work - jpeg images should NOT be in progressive mode to be displayed on player.

there is many tools that can do that - i used jpegtran.

tl;dr nw-a40 does not support progressive jpeg for album covers

Nov 6, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #375 of 1,999

Compared to my LG V20, it does indeed lack bass impact and depth however the staging is wider and treble is much more emphasized which sometimes stings my ears if the track has been mastered hot

I am glad to hear A40 has the similar sound chracteristic with A30 unfotunately. Very deep bass was lacking, mid bass was boosted, treble is hot, very highs are cut. If It was so much better than the A35 I would be very dissapointed and could not afford to A45 or new dap every year.

Here is what I write about A35 in the A30 forum. It got drown out because thousents of not useful mesaages and chit chatting happens all the time in Head fi, but I am quoting again:

1) No radio channels won't change when screen is turned off. You cannot preset more than 30 channels. There is not instant RDS feature like on cars. Can't adjust the EQ features while on Radio. But on screen buttons provide much quicker reaction than normal music player controls.
In short don't buy this device for practical Radio usage.

2) Sound was quite dissppointment for me. This is the 1st time head fi fooled me big time. Excellent hardware with A35 but my S7 exynoss can give lower frequencies than A35. With A35 bass is boosted, treble is boosted. I'm sick that Sony does the same tuning to their smartphones like all Z series, many headphones like MDR1A and now to this A-35. And It's quite frightening that only few recognized this so far. Everybody here says wow really good, cymbals are great, player is a bit warm and all that but I can't get over that Samsungs and iPhones sound almost dead flat but not this player. And that's the elephant in the room, really obvious. Clarity and black bacground is very good however. Very good hardware. One other problem with me is that soundstage feels compressed into my head. Layering is good but all is compressed into my head, S7 iPhones and Soundcards (Xonar U7 I have) don't make me "uuh enough". I want more with them mostly but not with this player. I usually listen on way lower levels with this A35 player because of that problem. BTW If you listen mostly dubstep and EDM you might find it to your advantage.

3) This player is SLOW. Because of Processor and in built storage. Sorry but If 2007 iPod device is more fluid and instant reactions to your presses and not 2017 device, there is no defending it. HOWEVER, many quality Daps have this problem (except some flagship ones) I use mostly device Storage, even with the no album art files It sttters almost all the time while scrolling. Worse than 2012 android flagships. BUT I don't know how it will effect If I insert better than class 10 SD carda and transfer all the files to it. But, screen is quite good. I wish there was light sensor. Screen responsivenes not that great also. Some smudges will confuse the touch responsivenes. And othrr problem is this device is not consisten with next pause and play reaction time. That's why I say It's not deliberatly done thay way by Sony. I feel It sonetimes struggles and needs more time.

4) Built quality is bad. I saw one person dropped it with case and he says even with the case devices edges are deformed considerably. It's not that obvious but It's there. The sheet metal is a thin indeed. And anodizing is really thin. I scratched the device quite easily. I can't tell you how thin the scratch is and how thin the anodizing.
Other general problem, In this time when people and many reviewers see aliminum or any kind of metal on portable device they will automatically say: very solid built quality. Many people said their edge of their A35 is going off the plastic top and bottom cover, production tolerances are bad. The sheet's thickness ane aliminum they use don't have enough toughness from that dropped photo.
I would say quality plastic with good coating ans smartphone class tolerances and without this super sharp edges (which will be the weakest point in case of impact) would be more appropriate design choice and lead considerably better built quality.

I don't recommend this device If you have options unlike me. Battery life is quite good If you don't use much of the effects and screen navigation. And compares to other Daps, battery life is really good as people here stated.

Extra: I didn't like IEMs. I tried and use A35 with low empedance headphones, all the time. May be they pair good witj spesifically IEMs, although I don't think so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back