The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Mar 10, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #9,961 of 12,548
I've had the LH Labs GOv2 for nearly a week now and I find that it pairs exceptionally well with the Beyers. The amount of detail/clarity you get on this setup is very impressive. I've never heard my DT880's sound anywhere near as good as this. 

I'm also thinking of going balanced with the DT880 - since the GOv2 does have a balanced TRRS output. 

Mar 10, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #9,962 of 12,548
I'm also thinking of going balanced with the DT880 - since the GOv2 does have a balanced TRRS output. 

Do not speak of such things, you know who will show up...

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #9,963 of 12,548
  ...  DT880/600.  Killer headphone....

DT880 PRO/250(AKA 2003 VER)DT880/600 both are Killer headphones. If i want ultimate precision/linearity my choice would be pro/250For critical listening i always reach to pro/250 and for more musicality/fun listening i choose T1. IMHO overall DT880 has the most reliable and true to life tonality and timbre(right behind DT48A in midrange) than any headphones that i've heard so far. (i've heard HD800 and vintage HD540II for example). Although my experience is narrow to dynamic headphones only but my ultimate reference is PRO/250 right now.

This is a quote i got from somewhere:

" The Beyer DT880 2003 edition with a very basic physical mod(mod is reversible) and two basic shelving filters can be basically equal to the Omega II and exceed in certain cases. The modified DT880 is perhaps the most neutral response headphone that I know of. Especially suited for the DSP manipulation. Interesting to note: the modified 2003 DT880 has the cleanest energy decay overall of any transducer I have ever measured or seen measured by credible 3d party. "

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #9,964 of 12,548

Do not speak of such things, you know who will show up...

LOL . I think I know who you're talking about. I do miss his SE vs Balanced arguments though 
biggrin.gif

" The Beyer DT880 2003 edition with a very basic physical mod(mod is reversible) and two basic shelving filters can be basically equal to the Omega II and exceed in certain cases. The modified DT880 is perhaps the most neutral response headphone that I know of. Especially suited for the DSP manipulation. Interesting to note: the modified 2003 DT880 has the cleanest energy decay overall of any transducer I have ever measured or seen measured by credible 3d party. "

Really? I mean I love the 880's don't get me wrong, but doesn't that sound a bit exaggerated?

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #9,965 of 12,548
DT880 PRO/250(AKA 2003 VER)DT880/600 both are Killer headphones. If i want ultimate precision/linearity my choice would be pro/250For critical listening i always reach to pro/250 and for more musicality/fun listening i choose T1. IMHO overall DT880 has the most reliable and true to life tonality and timbre(right behind DT48A in midrange) than any headphones that i've heard so far. (i've heard HD800 and vintage HD540II for example). Although my experience is narrow to dynamic headphones only but my ultimate reference is PRO/250 right now.

The DT 880 definitely does have amazing tonal/timbre accuracy, I am heavily considering a DT 880 600 ohm. The DT 48 and it's kin have phenomenal timbre.

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #9,966 of 12,548

" The Beyer DT880 2003 edition with a very basic physical mod(mod is reversible) and two basic shelving filters can be basically equal to the Omega II and exceed in certain cases "

Nope, not buying this.  Glad you dig it though!!  thats really all that matters.

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #9,967 of 12,548
I've had the LH Labs GOv2 for nearly a week now and I find that it pairs exceptionally well with the Beyers. The amount of detail/clarity you get on this setup is very impressive. I've never heard my DT880's sound anywhere near as good as this. 

How do you the DT 880 balanced. Would ther be any big improvement from its factory SE.

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #9,968 of 12,548
How do you the DT 880 balanced. Would ther be any big improvement from its factory SE.

Well since the DT880's cable isn't detachable I'd have to re-cable them and terminate them in a 4-pin XLR. From there I can plug them into my XLR to TRRS adapter. But since I have zero solder skills I might get somebody else to do that for me.

I honestly do not know if it would be an improvement or not, I'd have to try that out. However, I did order a balanced cable for my HD650 (which will be arriving soon) and I'm going to try them on my GOv2. 

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #9,969 of 12,548
I've always wondered what possible reason/s could be to justify the 60 euros difference between PRO and PREMIUM? 
Official beyerdynamic website is selling the pro for 259,00 € and the premium(all ohm variants) for 199,00 € while premium comes with a nice leatherette carrying case and pro(from 2013) comes with only a very ordinary drawstring bag!
A while ago i asked beyerdynamic about recent possible changes they made to Pro. I received this response:

Thank you for your mail! The only things we changed in DT 880 Pro in the last years in fact were packaging and cable "

What's your thought guys? Is it because of better quality control - material - design - cable or what?

Anyway i'm quite surprised how much DT880 is underpriced given it's extraordinary sound & build quality and it's also very underestimated here in head-fi community...
confused_face(1).gif

Mar 11, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #9,970 of 12,548

Anyway i'm quite surprised how much DT880 is underpriced given it's extraordinary sound & build quality and it's also very underestimated here in head-fi community...
confused_face(1).gif

Many people listen mostly to less than perfect recordings and DT880 tend to be a tad unforgiving. 
On the other hand the softer and warmer HD600/650 tend to be easier on the ears and thus more people enjoy them (pay for them)

Mar 11, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #9,971 of 12,548
  I would suggest if you "need" software to "fix" a headphone, you need to find another headphone. The kind of software that is being discussed here is altering the signal, something only the dac should be doing imo.

Some people won't touch EQ so as not to alter the sound, but then they go on a long and expensive journey to find the perfect amp and tubes... to alter the sound.

Mar 11, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #9,972 of 12,548
Some people won't touch EQ so as not to alter the sound, but then they go on a long and expensive journey to find the perfect amp and tubes... to alter the sound.

Not anywhere near the same thing. The kind of sound changes that occur with tube selection is nowhere near as strong a change as eq offers.

Mar 11, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #9,973 of 12,548

Yes, because what you get is an upgrade in sound quality instead of slight alterations to the sound signature. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back