Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi
Sep 29, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #1,366 of 1,413
A good friend in Santa Fe sent me a care package knowing how much I like the offerings from a small craft distillery there...

IMG_1746.jpg

Dec 1, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #1,369 of 1,413
A good friend in Santa Fe sent me a care package knowing how much I like the offerings from a small craft distillery there...

i got onr from here Fat Baby Bourbon
For years I was convinced Jack Daniels was the best all around Whiskey. . . .smooth and great taste. Then I discovered aged Canadian Whiskey and have thought that was a bit smoother. Recently my wife gave me a bottle of Jameson Irish Whiskey and I think that is the best yet. I'd be curious to know what your experiences have been with these whiskeys and if there are others you think might be better and smoother. Thanks.

Dec 1, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #1,370 of 1,413
For years I was convinced Jack Daniels was the best all around Whiskey. . . .smooth and great taste. Then I discovered aged Canadian Whiskey and have thought that was a bit smoother. Recently my wife gave me a bottle of Jameson Irish Whiskey and I think that is the best yet. I'd be curious to know what your experiences have been with these whiskeys and if there are others you think might be better and smoother. Thanks.
Dip into Scotch.. single malt, age stated, non chill filtered, natural color (no coloring) and cask strengths.

Dec 2, 2023 at 12:24 AM Post #1,371 of 1,413
Dip into Scotch.. single malt, age stated, non chill filtered, natural color (no coloring) and cask strengths.
If coming from Canadian whiskey, it's best to start with a highland single malt like Aberlour 12. I've noticed some might first start with a Islay like Lagavulin because Ron Swanson drank it on Parks. They think it tastes like motor oil, and then think they can't like single malts. But Scotch really has a wide range of characters due to differences in malting and distilling per regions. The highland region producing the sweetest whiskies and Islay producing the peatiest (they use peat for drying malt on to the distilling process.

Dec 2, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #1,372 of 1,413
If coming from Canadian whiskey, it's best to start with a highland single malt like Aberlour 12. I've noticed some might first start with a Islay like Lagavulin because Ron Swanson drank it on Parks. They think it tastes like motor oil, and then think they can't like single malts. But Scotch really has a wide range of characters due to differences in malting and distilling per regions. The highland region producing the sweetest whiskies and Islay producing the peatiest (they use peat for drying malt on to the distilling process.
Yes, the Highlands would be the best introduction. Entry into single malts with Islay would almost end up in a disaster for anyone not familiar with peat and smoke. If anything, Ardbeg An Oa would be the first Islay dabble.

Dec 2, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #1,373 of 1,413
Delwhinney 15 is highly rated and neutral for maximum appeal. Not super expensive but premium price for the commercial scotch zone.

Dec 2, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #1,374 of 1,413
I'm hardly and expert on whiskey, and scotch is my normal go-to. Oban 14 or Aberlour 16, or a Basic Laddie from Bruichladdich. When I can't find (or afford) those, I look for a Glenfarclas 12 or even a Glenlivet 12. Jamesons are all good (they make several blends) and I love a good Jameson to pair with chocolate! If you want to try an Irish that is a little different try Red Breast.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #1,375 of 1,413
I love whiskey/bourbon but hate paying duty on it.
So I got a still some oak barrels and a new Liver
IMG_3550.jpeg

IMG_3551.jpeg

Dec 2, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #1,377 of 1,413
Really hate where the Scotch (and Japanese) whiskey prices have gone (and still going)... Jumping ship to Brandy/Calvados.
Great excuse to visit Japan... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I found many Japanese whisky prices at around half of what they cost in the states. I recently returned with 6 awesome bottles. Even other whiskies were good prices. Johnnie Walker green label for equivalent of ~$37

Stateside I can always find decent stuff in the $30ish range, guess it depends on your tastes

Dec 3, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #1,380 of 1,413

Users who are viewing this thread

Back