Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi
Dec 4, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #1,381 of 1,413
Untrue, or at least lazy. Scotch is made in Scotland. Some Japanese whiskies are influenced by Scotch techniques, such as their blended nature, but obviously can't be scotch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_whisky
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_whisky
It's easy to just search wikipedia but if you go deeper and do research behind the Japanese whisky industry then you'll find out that only a very few Japanese distilleries have been making true Japanese whisky. The rest are importing whisky from Scotland either be bottled, finished or blended and labeled/marketed as Japanese whisky. It's just recently that strict requirements has been made to classify as Japanese whisky.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #1,382 of 1,413
This is my fav Japanese whiskey, Kurayoshi Pure Malt Whisky 18 Year Old

Dec 4, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #1,383 of 1,413
I love japanese whisky, you get so many more flavour profiles and can get suprised a lot more. The Hibiki is my favourite (the aged versions don't get produced anymore and are insanely expensive, lol), but i also like The Chita, Yakushu, Yamazaki 12, Nikka from the barrel, Kamiki...
The only disappointentment was the Toki, which tasted bland and boring, seems like you gotta spend a bit more to get a good japanese whisky, 30€ didn't cut it (for 700ml, the Nikka from the Barrel is 10€ more but for 500ml and is very nice).

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #1,384 of 1,413
Japanese whiskey can be great indeed! I had an amazing experience in Japan some years ago where i drank some crazy releases. Especially the 35 yo Nikka and the Bowmore mizunara blew me away! :)

BeFunky-collage.jpg

Dec 4, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #1,385 of 1,413
This is my fav Japanese whiskey, Kurayoshi Pure Malt Whisky 18 Year Old
Their age statement blends are sourced whisky and blended with Japanese grain malt whisky, I've only tried the 12 which was good though heavily influenced by the Highland sourced whisky rather than the Japanese malt. Try single malts from Yamazaki.
I love japanese whisky, you get so many more flavour profiles and can get suprised a lot more. The Hibiki is my favourite (the aged versions don't get produced anymore and are insanely expensive, lol), but i also like The Chita, Yakushu, Yamazaki 12, Nikka from the barrel, Kamiki...
The only disappointentment was the Toki, which tasted bland and boring, seems like you gotta spend a bit more to get a good japanese whisky, 30€ didn't cut it (for 700ml, the Nikka from the Barrel is 10€ more but for 500ml and is very nice).
Toki is like JW Red, best with highballs and is a really good mixer. You should try Toki with Arizona green tea, lots of ice

Dec 4, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #1,386 of 1,413
It's easy to just search wikipedia but if you go deeper and do research behind the Japanese whisky industry then you'll find out that only a very few Japanese distilleries have been making true Japanese whisky. The rest are importing whisky from Scotland either be bottled, finished or blended and labeled/marketed as Japanese whisky. It's just recently that strict requirements has been made to classify as Japanese whisky.
I was aware that Japanese rules were loose and might even blend imports into their own recipes. However, I was under the impression at least a certain percentage of what was in the bottle had to actually be Japanese in some capacity? If not I stand corrected

The only disappointentment was the Toki, which tasted bland and boring
I agree, Toki by itself isn't great. Too light and sweet, but could see in a mixed drink like a highball, which are popular in Japan

Japanese whiskey can be great indeed! I had an amazing experience in Japan some years ago where i drank some crazy releases. Especially the 35 yo Nikka and the Bowmore mizunara blew me away! :)

BeFunky-collage.jpg
Jealous! I also had a great time whisky tasting in Japan. Found a few whisky-only bars and tasted some good stuff. I bet that Nikka was amazing

Dec 4, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #1,387 of 1,413
I was aware that Japanese rules were loose and might even blend imports into their own recipes. However, I was under the impression at least a certain percentage of what was in the bottle had to actually be Japanese in some capacity? If not I stand corrected

I agree, Toki by itself isn't great. Too light and sweet, but could see in a mixed drink like a highball, which are popular in Japan

Jealous! I also had a great time whisky tasting in Japan. Found a few whisky-only bars and tasted some good stuff. I bet that Nikka was amazing
The Japanese whisky industry before standards and requirements were set was literally like the wild wild west. Blended Japanese whisky with wording like “Made in Japan” or “Single Grain” are usually blends of Scotch and or Canadian and or Irish whisky.

The crazy part which many not know is Suntory being the largest whisky entity in Japan and is the second/third largest in the world. Owns a lot of distilleries in Scotland, Canada, Ireland and the US.

Yamazaki and Ichiro’s single malts are my main favorites but with how the pricing are it maybe a while when I would pick up another bottle. The last Ichiro’s Floor Malted I bought was in the $200-$300 range is now in the $1k all the up to god only knows how much and that is the same with most Yamazaki 😭

Dec 4, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #1,388 of 1,413
The crazy part which many not know is Suntory being the largest whisky entity in Japan and is the second/third largest in the world. Owns a lot of distilleries in Scotland, Canada, Ireland and the US.
Suntory is massive. Obviously acquisition of Jim Beam and their brands expanded their portfolio a huge amount

Dec 4, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #1,389 of 1,413
Suntory is massive. Obviously acquisition of Jim Beam and their brands expanded their portfolio a huge amount
That's one way to secure the best bourbon/whiskey barrels for whisky maturation. They will continue to acquire distilleries that is not under Diageo. I wouldn't even be surprised if they would look into India next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back