Feliks Audio ENVY
Mar 26, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #6,076 of 6,904
not sure there are enough people who have heard it to make suck a judgment...it was at canjam but really tough to pass judgment on anything in those show conditions...the envy with upgraded tubes is already pretty special

Mar 27, 2024 at 3:22 AM Post #6,077 of 6,904
Actually not a bad idea.
Just May -> passive preamp -> Envy
and
May -> Rebelamp for IEM's etc

I just checked the dimensions and the height is 9cm, that's quite a lot :/

Maybe i'll just keep the Spring 3...

Are there any other nice passive preamp options other than Khozmo Acoustic?
GoldenSound always used the GoldPoint Passive Attenuator before he got his Serene. He used this with the May because of its “hot” output. Said he could not detect any difference with it in or out of the chain. Most of the GoldPoint Attenuators are multi-in single-out but I need a single-in 2-out so Arne at GoldPoint is going to re-wire one for me. I’ve not ordered it yet but will probably do so in the near future. If you look at the GoldPoint website the model I’m looking at is a modified SA2, the SA2R, Arne is adding it to the range.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 4:06 AM Post #6,078 of 6,904
I'm thinking about upgrading the Spring to a May and i would really hate to not use a preamp for the Envy.
I just checked - Spring at 94 Volume (which is equal to no preamp at all) and the Susvara on high gain is very loud at 9 o'clock.
I mean...
IT WOULD BE NICE IF I COULD ACTUALLY USE THE VOLUME KNOB AS INTENDED...

So, do i need to get a Serene? Or is a Bliss probably good enough as a preamp (because i then could kick out the Rebelamp aswell, use the Bliss for both IEM's and when i don't want to turn the Envy on).
What are you guys using as a preamp, if any. Because as i said, making minimal adjustments to the volume is not possible because the output of the Spring is so hot. Lowering the gain makes the Susvara a bit softer in my opinion.
First world problems, i know...
The Bricasti M3 works very well as a pre into Envy, no issues at all with volume and that's even with IEM.

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:41 AM Post #6,080 of 6,904
I'm thinking about upgrading the Spring to a May and i would really hate to not use a preamp for the Envy.
I just checked - Spring at 94 Volume (which is equal to no preamp at all) and the Susvara on high gain is very loud at 9 o'clock.
I mean...
IT WOULD BE NICE IF I COULD ACTUALLY USE THE VOLUME KNOB AS INTENDED...

So, do i need to get a Serene? Or is a Bliss probably good enough as a preamp (because i then could kick out the Rebelamp aswell, use the Bliss for both IEM's and when i don't want to turn the Envy on).
What are you guys using as a preamp, if any. Because as i said, making minimal adjustments to the volume is not possible because the output of the Spring is so hot. Lowering the gain makes the Susvara a bit softer in my opinion.
First world problems, i know...
I’m thinking the pre-amp in the Bliss is a perfectly good starting point. You already have the Bliss so why not start there? If you did not have the Bliss and needed an active pre-amp then the Serene is supposed to be slightly better. But if you need a headphone amp that can also be a pre-amp the Bliss is probably better. However, both of these options have active gain stages and will add some ‘colour’ to the chain which might or might not be noticeable to you, or could even be better for you. The passive options have zero gain stages and therefore will be more ‘transparent’ in your chain. The Bliss is your zero cost option, the passive attenuators are relatively low cost, and the DAC with volume attenuation like the Bricasti M3 is a higher cost option. It’s not the end of the world to have such options/decisions, it’s part of why we enjoy this hobby.

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:06 AM Post #6,081 of 6,904
Mar 27, 2024 at 5:15 AM Post #6,082 of 6,904
Anyone compare Envy to Riviera A1C and Egoista 845?
Does anyone think the Envy Anniversary Edition is as overall good or better than the latter two??
Only at show conditions with the regular Envy. I prefered even the regular Envy over both but Show conditions are a bad place to compare at that level, so take it with a good load of Salt.

Mar 27, 2024 at 7:35 AM Post #6,086 of 6,904
I’m thinking the pre-amp in the Bliss is a perfectly good starting point. You already have the Bliss so why not start there? If you did not have the Bliss and needed an active pre-amp then the Serene is supposed to be slightly better. But if you need a headphone amp that can also be a pre-amp the Bliss is probably better. However, both of these options have active gain stages and will add some ‘colour’ to the chain which might or might not be noticeable to you, or could even be better for you. The passive options have zero gain stages and therefore will be more ‘transparent’ in your chain. The Bliss is your zero cost option, the passive attenuators are relatively low cost, and the DAC with volume attenuation like the Bricasti M3 is a higher cost option. It’s not the end of the world to have such options/decisions, it’s part of why we enjoy this hobby.
I tried Bliss as preamp it made everything bit less punchy to my ear, and there was bit more warmth. I think Serene might be better, but honestly I dont feel like Envy needs a pre-amp with May. I dont feel like the volume adjustment is limited with Sus.

Mar 27, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #6,088 of 6,904
PXL_20240327_115042182.jpg

That's my afternoon sorted then :) Time for the WEs to take a seat on the bench!

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #6,090 of 6,904
I tried the Dave, Hugo TT2 in DAC and preamp mode with the Envy Performance Edition and preferred the Cambridge Edge NQ Streamer DAC over both in Preamp Mode and use 2 Monoblocks from Cambridge Edge M, details and soundstage is huge in depth and width with Susvara, the Cambridge Dac sounds so musical, with the Full Music the soundstage wasn’t huge and the layer separation was more on a line, with the WE it just opened up and fall in love with the setup right now 😍

Attachments

• IMG_3594.jpeg
    IMG_3594.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3651.jpeg
    IMG_3651.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back