Audeze LCD-MX4
Nov 27, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #121 of 907
I have had the chance to listen to the MX4 today at a local shop. It was paired with thr Chord Dave and WA33.
Please do not take my impressions as what you would expect to hear if you were to try it yourself, as with all opinions out there.

Lets start with comfort, well built and comfortable, much better than the hot spot that one might experience with the regular Audeze headband. This level od comfort should be expected of premium headphones. The clamp is rather tight; but no major issues.

In general, not a positive sonic experience.
Bass was relatively well presented,Extended well, reaches deep. There is a mid bass hump that i could hear that could bother people, depending on one's preferences. Bass not was not particularly textured, but no major issues.

Mids were a flop for me, incredibly stifling and conjested.Very forward presentation of mids that gets in the way of enjoying the piece. It had a nasal tonality to it, like the vocalist had a blocked nose or some cloth was draped over speakers. Nils Lofgren's live album made this aspect particularly present. Although nasal, the mids shared similar characteristics with the 4, being buttery smooth, but its unnaturally in-your-face, muffled tonality killed it for me. Some may like agressive, forward mids so have a listen for yourself.

Highs was recessed with the lack of transparency. Cymbals do not shimmer, it decayed too quickly. Horns, violins, drums etc. do not capture the acoustics of the performance. Classical music sounded like it was recorded in a claustrophobic studio, lost were the natural reverberation of a concert hall. Perhaps it was the WA33 that the highs do not perform well.

Dynamics was one of the weakest aspects on this headphone, weak impact, with notes hitting like a pillow.
Being one of my top priorities for choosing headphones, the lack of dynamics hindered the enjoyment of music greatly. Bach's Solo violin tracks were used to assess microdynamics. MX4 was not able to capture small gradations in volume in quiet sections that many dynamic headphones are capable of (HD650 modded, HD800SDR). Macrodynamics were decent, large swings in volume were audible, but no where near HD800 levels. IMO dynamics are make or break for me. Large dynamic range is what differentiates a good recording from a bad one, MP3 from good SACD recordings, monotonous pieces or music that comes alive.

Soundstage was a miss, instruments were Conjested and closed in. ZMF Eikon, a closed headphone, was better able to present space and stage. Imaging was a blur, as with most planars I have heard. HE1000 and Susvara had better imaging capabilities.

Clarity was sub par. I had to dig deep and increase the volume to hear subtle details. People may like the MX4's soft and slick tonal balance, but at this price range, i cannot recommend a headphone with this level of detail retrieval. I had to struggle to hear the feet tapping in The Bucky Pizzarelli Trio's live album, while the ZMF Auteur and HD800 presents detail with ease without having to reach for the volume knob. Intruementalists in jazz quartets making small talk were smeared/inaudible with the MX4.

My short two hour listening session with the MX4 did not engage me. I was eager to get from one test track/album to the next. When I am rushing though tracks, that is when I know that the headphone or *insert gear here* was not the one.

To conclude, some may love the audeze house sound, and do not take these issues i have described a major problem. But to me, MX4 was a fail, and its older brother LCD4 did it better.

Before any MX4 owners flame me, let me say that I am only giving my own view of the headphone, not sugar coat it or rub egos. If you do truly like the MX4, you would'nt feel insecure and lash out. After all, music, as with wine tasting, your own experience matters most.
Well thought out, and thanks for your review. One thing: Did you try it directly connected to the DAVE sans the Woo? I only ask as I like my X directly driven from the Hugo2, and thought it might be worth trying the MX4 that way. I might also get flamed for this, but I don't like tubes. They're great for guitar amps, but even then, they're a pain to replace moneywise. If you have the time, or even the inclination, would you possibly give it a direct listen without the extra amp? Thanks for your thoughts.

Nov 27, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #123 of 907
I have had the chance to listen to the MX4 today at a local shop. It was paired with thr Chord Dave and WA33.
Please do not take my impressions as what you would expect to hear if you were to try it yourself, as with all opinions out there.

Lets start with comfort, well built and comfortable, much better than the hot spot that one might experience with the regular Audeze headband. This level od comfort should be expected of premium headphones. The clamp is rather tight; but no major issues.

In general, not a positive sonic experience.
Bass was relatively well presented,Extended well, reaches deep. There is a mid bass hump that i could hear that could bother people, depending on one's preferences. Bass not was not particularly textured, but no major issues.

Mids were a flop for me, incredibly stifling and conjested.Very forward presentation of mids that gets in the way of enjoying the piece. It had a nasal tonality to it, like the vocalist had a blocked nose or some cloth was draped over speakers. Nils Lofgren's live album made this aspect particularly present. Although nasal, the mids shared similar characteristics with the 4, being buttery smooth, but its unnaturally in-your-face, muffled tonality killed it for me. Some may like agressive, forward mids so have a listen for yourself.

Highs was recessed with the lack of transparency. Cymbals do not shimmer, it decayed too quickly. Horns, violins, drums etc. do not capture the acoustics of the performance. Classical music sounded like it was recorded in a claustrophobic studio, lost were the natural reverberation of a concert hall. Perhaps it was the WA33 that the highs do not perform well.

Dynamics was one of the weakest aspects on this headphone, weak impact, with notes hitting like a pillow.
Being one of my top priorities for choosing headphones, the lack of dynamics hindered the enjoyment of music greatly. Bach's Solo violin tracks were used to assess microdynamics. MX4 was not able to capture small gradations in volume in quiet sections that many dynamic headphones are capable of (HD650 modded, HD800SDR). Macrodynamics were decent, large swings in volume were audible, but no where near HD800 levels. IMO dynamics are make or break for me. Large dynamic range is what differentiates a good recording from a bad one, MP3 from good SACD recordings, monotonous pieces or music that comes alive.

Soundstage was a miss, instruments were Conjested and closed in. ZMF Eikon, a closed headphone, was better able to present space and stage. Imaging was a blur, as with most planars I have heard. HE1000 and Susvara had better imaging capabilities.

Clarity was sub par. I had to dig deep and increase the volume to hear subtle details. People may like the MX4's soft and slick tonal balance, but at this price range, i cannot recommend a headphone with this level of detail retrieval. I had to struggle to hear the feet tapping in The Bucky Pizzarelli Trio's live album, while the ZMF Auteur and HD800 presents detail with ease without having to reach for the volume knob. Intruementalists in jazz quartets making small talk were smeared/inaudible with the MX4.

My short two hour listening session with the MX4 did not engage me. I was eager to get from one test track/album to the next. When I am rushing though tracks, that is when I know that the headphone or *insert gear here* was not the one.

To conclude, some may love the audeze house sound, and do not take these issues i have described a major problem. But to me, MX4 was a fail, and its older brother LCD4 did it better.

Before any MX4 owners flame me, let me say that I am only giving my own view of the headphone, not sugar coat it or rub egos. If you do truly like the MX4, you would'nt feel insecure and lash out. After all, music, as with wine tasting, your own experience matters most.
See, we all hear very differently. I myself get tons of detail from songs, once I use the Focal Clear is when I lose track of that extra detail I heard from a track. I truly don't think the perfect sound or headphone exists, just something that we may get close to.

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #127 of 907
Well thought out, and thanks for your review. One thing: Did you try it directly connected to the DAVE sans the Woo? I only ask as I like my X directly driven from the Hugo2, and thought it might be worth trying the MX4 that way. I might also get flamed for this, but I don't like tubes. They're great for guitar amps, but even then, they're a pain to replace moneywise. If you have the time, or even the inclination, would you possibly give it a direct listen without the extra amp? Thanks for your thoughts.

I have not tried it with the DAVE only. Its amp section is really not the best given a planar's need for power, and I would think that DAVE is best used as a DAC. Yes, I admit that the WA33 imparts some tube coloration to the chain that I am not really fond of, like other syrupy Woo amps. I will be returning to hear the MX4 again near Christmas on the WA5LE. I Think that the WA5 is Woo's best, fastest, most solid-state-ey sounding amp. WA5 is similar to my EC ZDS, where tube coloration is done right : slightly euphoric mids, better detail retrieval and soundstage than my Schiit Ragnarok.
Nothing wrong with disliking tubes, but if you've never tried the likes of TOTL tubes you should totally give it a shot for fun. High-end tube amps do not sound mushy and conjested at all, and better than solid state in most aspects imo.
EC ZDS, ampsandsound Kenzie, Dragon Inspire IHA-1, Decware Taboo IV, DNA Stratus, to name a few.

Listened to the LCD-X a few times now but still prefer the LCD-X.
Indeed we al listen to different qualities and hear/experience other thinks.
Ditto. I think the X is Audeze's best though it has its slew of issues I talked about in the X thread. Gear pairing was tough for me, needed to bring down the hot treble, boost the mids while only having solid state has an only option.

Nov 28, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #128 of 907
I have not tried it with the DAVE only. Its amp section is really not the best given a planar's need for power, and I would think that DAVE is best used as a DAC. Yes, I admit that the WA33 imparts some tube coloration to the chain that I am not really fond of, like other syrupy Woo amps. I will be returning to hear the MX4 again near Christmas on the WA5LE. I Think that the WA5 is Woo's best, fastest, most solid-state-ey sounding amp. WA5 is similar to my EC ZDS, where tube coloration is done right : slightly euphoric mids, better detail retrieval and soundstage than my Schiit Ragnarok.
Nothing wrong with disliking tubes, but if you've never tried the likes of TOTL tubes you should totally give it a shot for fun. High-end tube amps do not sound mushy and conjested at all, and better than solid state in most aspects imo.
EC ZDS, ampsandsound Kenzie, Dragon Inspire IHA-1, Decware Taboo IV, DNA Stratus, to name a few.

Ditto. I think the X is Audeze's best though it has its slew of issues I talked about in the X thread. Gear pairing was tough for me, needed to bring down the hot treble, boost the mids while only having solid state has an only option.
The MX4 is very, very easy to drive. So, that particular one doesn't need any power to be driven. I tried it, it's quite crazy how easy my Mojo was able to push it with no effort.

Nov 28, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #129 of 907
The MX4 is very, very easy to drive. So, that particular one doesn't need any power to be driven. I tried it, it's quite crazy how easy my Mojo was able to push it with no effort.

One thing is enough power for volume. Another thing is enough power to extract all the headphone can offer, and in the case of planars, it makes a difference, especially in the low end. That’s one of the reasons Audeze recommends at least 1W of power for the LCD line.

I’ve tested the LCD-X and my LCD-3 with a Burson V2 that puts out 8W @32Ohms and there was a big difference in the lows.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #130 of 907
That's why I was hoping @boxxi might try it with the DAVE naked. My favourite combo is my Hugo2 with the X. And, if the MX4 has that X-ness with improved clarity or something worth looking into, I might want to save up. Here's a link to Inner fidelity's Katz's Corner, about power measurements and standardization that I think is worth the read.
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/katzs-corner-episode-20-how-insensitive

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 28, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #131 of 907

Thanks. If I get a chance, I'l give a good listen to some of your suggested tube amps. You make that WA5 sound interesting. I should have said that tubes seem a bit high mantinance for me, but I've read many positive comments about them.

Nov 28, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #134 of 907
wake me up when lcd5 is out.

Nov 28, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #135 of 907
wake me up when lcd5 is out.
IMG_1940.JPG IMG_1958.JPG IMG_1966.JPG IMG_1967.JPG

Well at least LCD 4.1 :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back