Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Jul 11, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #11,221 of 11,472
Caldera sounded good out of Euphoria.
Meze Elite was powered very poorly having overly smooth transients and bloated low-end.

Both are not powered to their full potential with an OTL amp. The Cayin sounds much more punchy with both on low impedance. Better get a transformer coupled amp if you want to enjoy planar headphones.
I respectfully disagree. Listening to Elite from Euforia AE right now, with the tube set I posted earlier today, and loving it. I've heard Elite through several SS amps so I do have a point of comparison. IMO one of the virtues of Euforia is it can pair well with planars as long as they are reasonably sensitive (Elite is 101 dB). I definitely understand that others like yourself may prefer it from a transformer-coupled amp., fair enough. That's what makes this hobby fun and underscores that ultimately only one's own ears in one's own system can be the determinant of preference.

Jul 11, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #11,222 of 11,472
I respectfully disagree. Listening to Elite from Euforia AE right now, with the tube set I posted earlier today, and loving it. I've heard Elite through several SS amps so I do have a point of comparison. IMO one of the virtues of Euforia is it can pair well with planars as long as they are reasonably sensitive (Elite is 101 dB). I definitely understand that others like yourself may prefer it from a transformer-coupled amp., fair enough. That's what makes this hobby fun and underscores that ultimately only one's own ears in one's own system can be the determinant of preference.
I listened to the Elite on the Euforia Evo at Munich High End, and it did sound amazing.

Certainly not underpowered even at the high volumes you use at an event

Jul 11, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #11,223 of 11,472
Haha no problem. We all have different gear, music/sound preferences and ears.

Also the kind of tubes might play a role here. That can change the output impedance of the amplifier.
I tried the Caldera using 6SN7+6Y6G tubes and the difference to being driven by the Cayin was relatively small.
Elite sounded bad with 6SN7+5998 Absolutely no synergy for an already smooth sounding planar. A dynamic sounding pair of tubes on the Cayin helped me getting the most out of Elite.

I noticed using KT66+6sn7 makes my ZMF dynamics distort in the low-end. For the KT66 I need to use 6v6 tubes as driver tubes.

EL39+6sn7 was not powerful enough for Caldera also. Distorted low-end.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #11,225 of 11,472
Hi all,
new Euforia owner is here. :)

IMG_1467.jpeg

I have seen that there are various adapters to run other tubes, however I have not found any to buy anywhere.
Can anyone recommend me a store?

Best regards
Loui

Jul 11, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #11,227 of 11,472
Jul 11, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #11,228 of 11,472
Thanks, am just on my way to the night shift, will write something about it later.

Jul 11, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #11,229 of 11,472
Haha no problem. We all have different gear, music/sound preferences and ears.

Also the kind of tubes might play a role here. That can change the output impedance of the amplifier.
I tried the Caldera using 6SN7+6Y6G tubes and the difference to being driven by the Cayin was relatively small.
Elite sounded bad with 6SN7+5998 Absolutely no synergy for an already smooth sounding planar. A dynamic sounding pair of tubes on the Cayin helped me getting the most out of Elite.

I noticed using KT66+6sn7 makes my ZMF dynamics distort in the low-end. For the KT66 I need to use 6v6 tubes as driver tubes.

EL39+6sn7 was not powerful enough for Caldera also. Distorted low-end.
Really good point, @Renexx. I've tried to wrap my head around whether output tubes with lower plate resistance / higher transconductance may perform better with low impedance cans including planars in an OTL, but suspect it's more complicated than just those parameters. My conclusion was that I'm not smart enough to predict much from tube data sheets except how not to blow up my amp. So my approach now is a bit of trial and error and a "trust my ears" philosophy. :ear:

Jul 11, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #11,230 of 11,472
Lory, Lory, I have been trying to persuade you to get the Super Ultimate for a long time. :) When you're ready, let me know. You will be singing to a different tune with it.

Jul 12, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #11,231 of 11,472
hello guys
I am a Felix euphoria 20th anniversary owner paired with the zmf veritie open
and am struggling to find a dac with good synergy with the euphoria .
can any existing euphoria users recommend a dac that has great synergy with the euphoria?
the euphoria is a smooth amp but would not say it is warm in any way , so would a warm dac be a
better choice ? I have a holo audio cyan at the moment which is not warm either.
system sounds good but a bit too bright for me .
any suggestions would be great guys.

thank you .

Jul 12, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #11,232 of 11,472
hello guys
can any existing euphoria users recommend a dac that has great synergy with the euphoria?
the euphoria is a smooth amp but would not say it is warm in any way , so would a warm dac be a
better choice ? I have a holo audio cyan at the moment which is not warm either.

thank you .
I am a owner of the same amp and i am pairing it with the Gustard R26. Headphones are Focal Utopia.
R26 works great for me, but it is not everyone cup of tea. Maybe Denafrips Venus II works better for you. Watch British Audiophile on YT, he has a review for R26 and Venus II

Jul 12, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #11,233 of 11,472
hello guys

thank you .
Holo Spring 3 KTE and Holo May KTE both work brilliantly with Euforia.

Jul 12, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #11,234 of 11,472
thank you guys i appreciate your comments i will have to look into it
i was looking at the Venus 2 and holo may i will check out the gustard too thanks again guys .
appreciated .
i also just purchased a pair of chatham 5998 power tubes do they look legit to you guys.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 0
Jul 12, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #11,235 of 11,472
thank you guys i appreciate your comments i will have to look into it
i was looking at the Venus 2 and holo may i will check out the gustard too thanks again guys .
appreciated .
i also just purchased a pair of chatham 5998 power tubes do they look legit to you guys.
Look good to me. Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back